Impala Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many miles before I should preserve the car (mileage) . I was told by someone that Impalas are good with high miles, but my uncle says I should save the car for possible sale in the future.. Even today i see old school Impalas with low miles for sale, on display etc.(ex:1967 Impala with 27,000 miles). my car has 38,000 miles and I dont like to drive it too much , but sometimes I do like driving it around ..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hell yeah .. I at least want to keep it up so I can possibly it in the future.. besides, I have an SS , which is a rare find (at least where I am ) .. I use my Saturn SL1 to do my running around , so you could say the Impala is sort of an investment .. I was going to ride it around until it hit 50,000 until I went to a car show and ran into a guy with the same car . Only difference was his car had 13,000 miles. Nothing special about his car at all .Granted , mines are all highway miles but ,when I see Impalas with low milage like that , one would wonder why they aren't driven like , say a Ford Focus or a Grand Prix... Not that I think it's going to be worth anything , i dont want to alter the value if I dont have to

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
the IndySS Imps are only the rare ones, only made in 04 & only a few thousnad made, IMO enjoy your car, stop worrying about how much it will be worth in the future to someone else. Most ppl will ook at it as just another impala

·
Registered
32 Posts
How many miles before I should preserve the car (mileage) . I was told by someone that Impalas are good with high miles, but my uncle says I should save the car for possible sale in the future.. Even today i see old school Impalas with low miles for sale, on display etc.(ex:1967 Impala with 27,000 miles). my car has 38,000 miles and I dont like to drive it too much , but sometimes I do like driving it around ..
It looks like you have a standard SS...buy and Indy and put IT in storage, if you are looking for a collectible car. They made only 4088 2004 Indy's, which come with a certificate of authentication. They show a picture of the car with the vin and build number...mine is #241.

·
Registered
375 Posts
It's not going to be worth a lot, just drive it.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
yup what they said enjoy your car take it to shows maybe mod it a little to fit u and enjoy

·
Registered
557 Posts
Everyone said the old camaro's (60's) aren't going to be worth anything. But now they're worth a fortune. But I agree with everyone, just enjoy it.

·
Banned
351 Posts
so you could say the Impala is sort of an investment
Depreciable assets are never considered investments, only liabilities...over the next 20 years you are going to spend money for upkeep and storage in an effort to keep that car pristine. Why hold onto something and let it waste away when you could be out driving it having fun?

Although I shouldnt be one to talk.. I am saving every OEM part off my 07 SS JIC I ever decide to sell it... including the stock mufflers.

·
Super Moderator
3,943 Posts
Some of the 60s cars are worth money partly because people did NOT save them. Those cars going up in value has every nitwit and their brother thinking their car is a goldmine.

The 90s Impala is a perfect example a LOT of folks bought those as "investments" and I laugh every time I see one with 1000k miles struggle to sell for the $25K it sold new for over a decade ago. Figure in interest, insurance, storage, any parts replaced, INFLATION and if they sold the thing for $30K after buying for $25k they still lost their ass.

Same thing happened with the mid to late 70s Caddies that last of the HUGE ones, lots of people bought those for "investment" too and lost lots of money.

Cars are meant to be DRIVEN and when they sit they rot, might still look good but are often no longwer any more mechanically sound than if they had high miles.

I ENJOY seeing people who buy cars as investments get hosed, all they do is screwup the hobby for those of us who genuinely enjoy cars for the DRIVE, by inflating prices.

The Barrett Jackson thing is NOT representative of what cars actually go for either, EGOS drive the price there and the chance to be on TV.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
another example of this is a saw a stock plymouth prowler ( which i used to like the style ) on craigslist for $40,000 .... !!! thats at leasst what they paid but id only had 90 miles on it idk if thell get what they want but seeing now that the engines were junk i could never see paying that much for a stcok prowler

but then again im one of the few epople that have seen a 1000 horse power BUILT prowler that sets in storage here in my hometown and rarley sees miles :biggrin:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Drive it... there are pently 04 SS's on the road so just having one of them isnt gonna get you anything special. Even the 96 SS is not as hot on the market as thier owners belive they are... right now there is a 96 SS for 8k sitting at a dealership close to my house (its actually pretty nice, thought about getting it but decided not to) and has been for some time now.. .The only people who pay big prices are those who want that perticular car. the 04-05 SS is not rare by production numbers so in 10-20 years there will still be a lot of them around

1 - 15 of 15 Posts