Impala Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Back at it again with the cursed 2004 Indy edition

It’s been driving fine for the past year since doing a tuneup and passlock resistor bypass.

This cold morning I was doing my usual routine of letting it warm up (no issues starting or idling) while I get ready inside. When I came back to the car it was no longer running. Trying to start it again it would crank as long as I please but it refused to make a single sputter. I noticed it was running long enough for the temp gauge to have started moving at least. Limited on time, I locked up and took a different car to run around town for the day.

At the end of the day I came back and tried starting it again. It started RIGHT up, idled fine for a few seconds, then died. It didn’t slowly die, it was like it was abruptly cut off. It again would crank as much as I want but not fire.

I’ve got time this weekend to troubleshoot it with some daylight, so I wanted to get some ideas from the community or see if anyone else had a similar experience?

Some ideas I’ve gathered so far searching the forums, no one seemed to have the same symptoms as I do with it starting fine then abruptly dying:
-ICM (bring into parts store for testing?)
-CPS (wouldn’t this throw a code and/or cause slightly different stalling behavior?)
-check for spark
-check for fuel pressure (I don’t think my symptoms point to a fuel issue)

my generic obd2 scanner did not detect any codes. Don’t think it’s a passlock issue or I’d see the security light and have no crank

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Noticed I was not getting any spark, so started thinking about the ignition system.

Still no codes for any CPS issues, and I wasn’t sure if my relatively new Ignition Control Module was already dead. I found my old one from the last time I replaced it to chase down a misfire issue and voila starts and runs just fine now! New ICM is to blame

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Have you got one or more weak coils?
The reason I ask is a weak coil will burn up the corresponding driver on the ICM

1 - 3 of 3 Posts