Impala Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I may be getting an old work truck from my uncle for $1000. I would love to lower it and will have some help with from my parents with $$. (My younger brother will be needing a car shortly so they'd like to put money into this truck for me, and my Impala will be shared with my brother.)

So my question is what would you guys suggest suspension wise? My stepdad wants to go with a lowering kit and an axle flip kit, but I've been looking at Ridetech.com and the basic full air ride kit is around $4000. Would air ride be a worthwhile investment in your guys' mind?

·
Crusoe Customs
53 Posts
Depends on what your looking for as far as ride height. If you only wanting to lower it a few inches I would suggest lowering balljoints in the front and lowering blocks in the rear would be fine. I your wanting to go full drop without air bagging it that would be a good choice as far as ride quality

·
Storm Trooper Ralf
4,334 Posts
Yes but ride tech is a true air suspension not air bags. Also there is no such thing as a lowering.ball joint. For the front do the lowering spindle, it doesnt throw off the alignment;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a 2004 Silverado 1500. 5.3L V8 Reg Cab Long Bed. Front suspension already needs work according to my uncle. I have a buddy who's got a lowered 1999 Reg Cab Short Bed, he did a 6.0L swap and that thing is downright nasty.

So I'm trying to outdo his truck ;)

·
Crusoe Customs
53 Posts
For the record Belltech makes a 2 inch drop lower ball joints ;-). I know they make them for the Colorado but I dont know if they make them for the Silvy. Anytime you tear apart the front end of a vehicle it needs to be realigned

·
Crusoe Customs
53 Posts
If you wanna out do him and if money is no object (hehehe) C-notch the rear of the chasis, fab up a low profile cross member, body it, bag it and drag it lol

·
Crusoe Customs
53 Posts
Thats only if u do a drop spindle cuz the stock one wont bolt down and properly seat.
Not really, you only have to grind off the original sway bar bracket in order for the ball joint to sit correctly, the lowering ball joint comes with the sway bar bracket made on it

·
Crusoe Customs
53 Posts
Thats actually what I'm doing in my profile pic was grinding of the factory bracket on a Colorado Xtreme I lowered with the ball joints. Anyways, I checked on ebaymotors and nothing like that came up for the Silvy so they may not make them for the full size

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll be getting the truck in 2 weeks! It needs tires, so suggestions for rims and tires anyone? Looking to spend around $1000-$1500

1 - 19 of 19 Posts