Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace at least 3 of my stepper motors for faulty gauges. Does anyone out there have how-to instructions on removing the instrument panel.

Many thanks!

KGC

Luv the '04 but has problems we need to work such as gauges, wipers not returning to correct position when off, and traction ctrl/ABS lights on with brakes checking out OK.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
04 Impala Instrument Panel How-to get pointers to zero

I appreciate the directions "impalaguru" gave on how to get to my instrument panel. I finally received the stepper motors and replaced 3 of them last nite. I got some advice on how to get the pointers to zero when the car is off. What I did was leave the cover off the instrument panel, I hooked on the cable and turned the car on/off and fiddled with the pointers until I got them to zero when the car was off. Then I took it on a test drive (2 of the steppers replaced were the speed & RPMs) and verified the speed I was going was what was on my speedometer....all good until I got home. I put the face plate back on and put everything back together, only to find out that when I started the car, then turned it off, the fuel, speed & RPMs pointers did not go to zero. Do any of you have suggestions on how to get the pointers to reset to zero properly?

Thanks for all the help!

KGC

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
^^ A pretty simple and straight forward job. Just take your time and don't rush. When you rush you end up braking dash clips and that's not fun at all.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Stepper motor replacements

I just changed a stepper motor on my 04 Impala speedometer. Not hard. You tube has videos on how to do this, as well as pull apart dash. Took me all of an hour and 1/2 to rip apart dash, change stepper motor (speedo only) and put back together. Stepper motors can be bought online from Amazon.com. I bought a pack of 6 for $20 bucks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts