Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2004 impala LS 3.8L No Mods

I live in a snow climate and the traction control is fine until the traction control engages. If the tire slippage is not real fast or for very long it seems to function fine but if they slip at a faster rpm or for very long I get a "service traction control system" on the message center. It then disables the traction control and I get an "ABS" light. If I turn the car off and start it again everything clears and its fine until next time traction engages.

What I have tried: I have a MAC Tool code reader so I spun the wheels on ice to engage system and get the message & ABS light & Traction off light. I then checked for diagnostic codes with the car running and lights on but there are no codes.

Any Ideas or suggestions? I was thinking maybe a speed sensor but thought the car would have a code??

Ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
might be the car just going into Limp Mode, if not check your wheel speed sensors/harness/wires
Limp Mode? what could cause it to go in limp mode with no codes?

I will probably end up checking the speed sensors/wires/harnesses anyway but I thought if there were issues with any of those it would throw a code and let me know which side is causing the problem........maybe I'm wrong on that?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Limp or Abuse mode, the car will basically "shut down" but keep running if the PCM senses somehting is wrong, like wheels moving very fast in the front, but not the back. it trips the STC light b/c it thinks theres a bad sensor due to the speed the fronts are travelling compared to the rears. Try repeating this w/ the TC off it SHOULDNT trip the TC light

opefully some of that made sense, i'm 1/2 awake this morning :p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts