Impala Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The heater is blowing air that is BARELY warm even after a 45 minute drive.

I have had the following done:
- waterpump replaced
- coolant flushed
- thermostat replaced
- various hoses replaced (I don't know which ones the shop changed)

Currently, the car (3.8L) seems to be in perfect working order except for the lack of heat. I had the above done a few months ago during the summer (because of a coolant leak causing the car to overheat) and never thought to check to see if the heater worked. I needed the heater today for the first time and got only luke warm air. The front and rear defrost systems are working, the A/C is working, the car is NOT overheating, and the thermostat appears to be working correctly. I am not getting a gargling noise like their is air in the radiator (a problem I have dealt with in the past). Any ideas?

·
Registered
557 Posts
I'm with you detroit, I'd run it the car with the rad cap open, and every so often, open up the bleeder screw on top of the t-stat and make sure you have a steady stream come out of the bleeder.

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
Guys, the dexcool crap like to cake up after a while of being in the system....when the car is cool, find the heater hoses and using your hands, squeez or pinch them all over. You will probably notice the hoses are somewhat hard to flex and eventually you will notice them get softer, if this happens then flush the system so what you just unblocked does not go elsewhere and block something else like the core.

May sound odd but we have had many like this and by doing this it takes away lots of the original complaints/problems.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
BTW i just remembered, coolant runs thru the alt bracket and 2 hard palstic "L" s @ the LIM Area by the alt, the alt has a "l" passage in it IIRC, i know its a pretty small hole either way, and the 2 plastic "L"s like to crack as well, might want to check those out as well... If they clog there you'll see normal coolant temps (engine side) but heater wont work... Along w/ the stuff previosly mentioned.

I still use DEX, but its out of my car frequently enough i dont have to worry too much about it :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Problem Solved

I just wanted to let everyone know that we decided to take the car back to same place we had the work done. The thermostat they installed was stuck open and they had to replace it under warranty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts