Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just bought a 2004 Impala LS for our son.
(my first was a 1973 Impala 2door with the F41 sport suspension, and red with white vinyl top)
Now we are looking for Remote Start suggestions for the 2004, as it getting to be winter here in the Chicago area. We have never had remote start, and know there are tons of places that claim to have packages. Was going to contact the local Chevy dealers, and see what they suggest ? Obviously, want to have the remote start, along with the keyless entry functions all on a single fob...

Comments, suggestions, pointers ?

·
Registered
729 Posts
I would suggest getting one that won't start if the car is not in park (automatic) or neutral (standard). I heard stories of cars being turned on with a remote starter and taking off with dangerous consequences because they were turned off in gear.

Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Re: Remote Start

As for your remote start I would recommend going to a shop that specializes in that sort of thing. I am an installer at Best Buy and It took me 7 hours to do mine. Impala's are really a pain to do a lot of resistors and diodes that have to be used as well as bypassing you oem security (passlock II). Your local best buy can do a full remote start alarm keyless entry for around $550. Check it out.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Future Shop/ Best Buy will install a Viper 5900 kit for about 550, taxes and install included.

The Impala is indeed difficult to wire for, so do not attempt to install a remote start on your own unless you are very experienced with car electronics.

I have the Viper 5900 and have retained the factory lock/unlock/trunk release, as well as included the remote start. I took it back to the installer twice to make everything work right, as the settings and install are very tricky... but everything works well now, and I'm very very satisfied with it.

The remote start on the 5900 will work from up to one mile away, and works from inside houses, concrete and steel buildings, etc. One of the remotes is two-way and will beep and show you on the LCD screen that the car has been started (in case you push it accidentally by sitting on it or something).

The system can be set to shut off again after 6, 12, or 18 minutes (i beleive those are the numbers), so even if you don't notice the car has started, you won't burn all your gas.

They key has to be turned to 'on' in the ignition before you can depress the brake pedal to shift out of park. If you hit the brakes beforehand, the system will shut the car down. The Viper 5900 also includes a hood-latch mechanism so that the car will not remote start when you have the hood up. (Of course, you can still start the car with the hood up if you use the keys).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts