Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What power steering fluid do I need to purchase?

The manual says GM Power Steering Fluid (GM Part No. U.S. 89021184) but I cannot find it. I even called down to a GM dealership and they didn't know what I was talking about. Also there have been people posting that transmission fluid is the same as power steering fluid which has gotten me further confused. I thought transaxle and transmission fluid are the same but I always thought that power steering fluid is a different fluid. I called down to an autoparts store and asked what power steering fluid to purchase and they said I needed Dexron but in the manual it list Dexron III as the transaxle/transmission fluid. HELP!

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Go to your local auto part store and find a PSF that is compatable with GM vehicles. Most steering fluids are.

From personal experience do not use Tranny or Brake fluid. Most pre 80 cars could take about anything in the steering fluid resivoir and had no problem, but cars after 1980 are way more finicky.

·
Registered
557 Posts
If you can go to the dealer and get yourself a bottle of Cold Climate Power Steering Fluid. You can only get it at the dealer. GM's have a tendency to whine when at a cold start. Otherwise regular power steering fluid is fine, that you'd get from like pepboys or autozone. But I highly recommend the cold climate fluid if its going to be cold where you are this winter.

·
Registered
416 Posts
If you decide to go with the cold climate power steering fluid the p/n on it is 12345867. That should help you out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Will the cold climate PSF work in warm climates just as well as the regular stuff will?

I live in Florida but if I decided to drive up to Canada or something, I'd like to be able to make the trip without necessarily switching fluids.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hum, never heard of cold climate power steering fluid,well now you have me thinking,what size container does it come in,is it compatable with regular power steering fluid and what would be the approximate amount that you would need if you drained the ps reservoir and refilled? ed

·
Registered
86 Posts
I checked 3 local dealers and no one knew anything about such a product. Then I called another Chevrolet dealer parts dept.and the guy sounded less grumpy then the first three. I gave him the part # and he
said "never heard of the stuff" however GM dealers must have a method of
searching other dealers parts inventories,and the guy said, found some at a GM truck dealership. Went down to pick up 2 qts. and used my companies name and got it for $15.00 a qy. What I can tell you so far is that its green in color,has a really funny smell and its made in Canada,thats probably alot more than anyone wanted to know about power steering fluid,but there you have it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts