Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a couple of things and I'm hoping of the lesser of evils.

Story goes that I bought this vehicle and the speakers doesn't have sound. The radio shows the stations and what is being played, so I know it's not the radio/antenna, and after reading a few other problematic posts I came to the conclusion that it could quite possibly be the amplifier is dead.

My question to you all is what can I do to go about replacing the amplifier so I can get music without spending $400+ on a new "stock" amplifier? Any success completely bypassing it and replacing it with an aftermarket amplifier?

Besides if I were to completely bypass it, where would I find the cheapest Impala '00-'05 "stock" amplifiers for cheap?

I appreciate all the help, and this is my first Impala. I have had two Malibu's before it, and they were not as beautiful or powerful as the Impala. Definitely made a right choice.

·
Go Get It
15,065 Posts
The bypass works great, though I haven't tried it with stock head unit and stock speakers.

Find and Impala in the junkyard with a factory amp. I can't imagine it would be more than $35, and if it is, not by much.

Edit: the factory amp can be a real pain to get out. I just snapped the plastic connectors that were holding it in, because I wasn't reusing mine. I'm sure it will also be a pain to get it back in. Bypass is a much simpler installation, so I would try that first.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate both the replies, but I'm almost convinced it's the power connection that's corroded.

@Ejbiers Thank you for the harness. I'll look for that immediately.

·
Go Get It
15,065 Posts
Why are you 'almost' convinced?

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
The power connection is routed under the carpet towards the front. I would buy the bypass for the time being as it requires removing both front seats, carpet, and literally all trim in order to pull the carpet up. Please be careful with the bypass though. You can easily overpower the speakers by "turning the bass too high" and blow the speakers. I have read that with the bypass you actually get more power and higher quality sound even with the stock deck. If this is the case, I am not quite sure why GM went with a trunk amp to power the speakers. Doesn't make sense but, someone should be able to tell us.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts