Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Odd issue.

I have a 2004 Impala LS with the L36. Main changes are dual exhaust and Overkill PCM. Haven't really made any changes in almost two years.

Recently, every time I drive the car, sometime around ten minutes after starting the engine I'll hear a click and then the highlighted square around the "D" on the "PRND321" gear selection indicator turns off and on at random intervals. This reoccurs a few times over the next few minutes. The car continues to run and remains in gear. I have power and can drive it normally. However, after this occurs, shifts seem to be a bit more abrupt and stiff than I'm used to.

Has anyone experienced this before or can anyone give me a direction to look in for an issue? I'm wondering if there is a relay that is fried and I'm concerned about a more significant issue arising.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I had that issue awhile ago and it was due to my battery to chassis ground being slightly loose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had that issue awhile ago and it was due to my battery to chassis ground being slightly loose.
Thanks for the info. I'll look into that.

Oddly, in the last day or two, I now smell a slight ozone / burnt electronics smell when I start the car until the vents clear out. I've been through the fuse boxes and under the dash, but I can't find any relays or fuses that appear to have failed and I can't pin down the smell.

·
That Guy!!
1,424 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'll look into that.

Oddly, in the last day or two, I now smell a slight ozone / burnt electronics smell when I start the car until the vents clear out. I've been through the fuse boxes and under the dash, but I can't find any relays or fuses that appear to have failed and I can't pin down the smell.
Loose/bad grounds can cause issues like that also, granted there may be other issues that can't be seen yet. Figure it this way, electricity will always take the path of least resistance even if it's not supposed to be in that circuit.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Worked on this last night. Battery contacts look brand new, even though battery is almost five years old and will likely need to be replaced before winter.

Ground from negative terminal to body didn't look bad, but I removed it, cleaned both surfaces and re-connected. Tested continuity from negative terminal connection to the ground with a multimeter and it was good.

Chased another cable from negative terminal, under the front exhaust manifold to where two connections ground on the engine block underneath the exhaust crossover pipe. This connection was covered with grime (at least externally). Removed connections, cleaned and re-connected.

Drove the car to work this morning and it still exhibited the issue. Any ideas of other grounds or areas to investigate?

·
That Guy!!
1,424 Posts
There are usually some others under the kick panels on the driver's and passenger sides. I know of all the locations for the 6th gens, but am unfamiliar with yours.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts