Impala Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '04 impala and the gas and temp gauges are off. the temp gauge is way down pointing at 6 oclock and doesnt move much. the gas gauge is all over the place I can turn the key on one time and it says half a tank and then turn it off and on again and it will say like a quarter of a tank and it is always different everytime I trun the car on. The speedometer seems to be fine just the other two gausges. any ideas?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It sounds like you have a bad ground or loose connection somewhere in the system. The speedo works fine because it is isolated from the rest of the gauge connections.

A bad ground can be incredibly hard to find, you'd probably spend days looking for it without the proper equipment. In the long run it's going to be easier to take it in to the dealer or a reputable shop. They utilize specialized equipment to quickly locate where a bad ground is.

The only "quick" fix you might get lucky on is a loose connection on the back of the instrument cluster. Unfortunately removing the cluster on an Impala is a royal pain in the A55!! The lower part of the dash is one piece, very hard to get out of the vehicle. If you do attempt to remove it be very careful and take your time, a big crack in the plastic will haunt you for the rest of your Impala days!

Hope this helps!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts