Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TURN THE ENGINE ON..AND IT SHUTS OFF OR WHEN I COME TO A STOP IT SHUTS OFF

ANYONE CAN SPECIFICALLY TELL ME WHERE THE IDLE SCREW IS LOCATED SO I CAN ADJUST IT AND HOW SHOULD I ADJUST IT?

THANKS SO MUCH :frown::frown:

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
The idle is controled by the computer. There is a TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) that tells the computer when the car's throttle plate is at idle position. A Haynes Repair Manual should tell you where this sensor is and how to test if it is the problem with your car. Sometimes running a good fuel cleaner will help idling and performance problems.
?Have you changed the spark plugs recently to a different type then was in the car? Using any other type of plug then the ones called for by the manufacture will cause rough idle and stumbling problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same Problmes

I'm currently having the same problems w/ my 04 impala ls. I changed my coils and it was running nice then when I took it on the highway it started idling low. I got home started the car and it shut off, then I just changed my spark plugs found out one of my wires was bad, changed that one wire, the car started good, but when I took it on a test drive it started to idle hard and kick. I'm having it checked but I'll see if my fuel filter is the problem.

·
Registered
823 Posts
^If it started after you did the plugs and wires. Start there.

Did you use Borg Warner coils? They are not the best.

Also plugs could be gapped wrong. I have NEVER pulled a plug out of the box and had it gapped right.

Also A set of Spark plug wires runs 15-30 bucks who in the world is cheap enough to just replace 1?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts