Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2004 Impala stopped running while I was driving it. As if it ran out of gas, all though it had plenty! I had it towed and my Mechanic checked the fuse to the fuel pump first. It was blown. It kept blowing . He determined it needed a new fuel pump. After the new fuel pump was installed, it started rough, but ran. I drove it 10 miles away from the mechanics shop. It died again as if it ran out of fuel. I had it towed back again! This time, the fuse was blown again. My mechanic put in a new relay for the fuel pump. Since then, it has not died. HOWEVER, before it ever died in the first place, I barley turned the key and it fired up without hesitation. It was also very quite before. NOW, since the work has been done, It NEVER starts on the first try and takes forever on the second try but it will start. The engine feels like it "kicks" right after it is started. My mechanic says maybe a different fuel pump that puts out more pressure would solve this problem. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Additional info:The first fuel pump was bad no question there! I also just had the fuel filter changed about a month ago.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i think i agreed with the girl above.....look on first place why a car doesnt start sometimes it not just because of a malfunctioning pump, it can be the worst the vehicle was on a flood...........others would be a short to the pump wiring u mention it kept burning the fuse, they dont burn for nothing..trust me it happen on my dodge pickup..i replace my pump the day that my truck died on me because everything pointed at it.......and i took the fuel tank in and out about 3times to realize on checking the wiring to it.........and guess what im glad i did not blow up because i short close to the fuel tank its dangerous......well my auto shotdown relay was trying to save me and kick in by killing my truck but i just didn't think it was something like that.........big mistake i ended replacing my working pump and im someway i knew it..i just did not see the melted insulation on the touching wires because they were inside this black plastic pipe......of course simple things as a tune up can also affect ure car, have it scanned..................

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm, is the fuse still blowing? did u check it? i think you should change your fuel filter aswell for 20 bucks tops. Did he check the Main Relay? it might be messed up and you might need to resolder it

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think maybe you need a new mechanic...(all sizes do not fit all situations...find someone who knows what they're doing.)

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Your mechanic should have used a proper fuel pump. When he replaced it he should have used one even if from the local autoparts store that was equal to all of the peramiters of the one called for by Chevorlet. If it is a lower pressure pump then that would be his fault. As someone else mentioned do have the wiring checked. There could be a short that is interupting the power to the pump causing it to work intermitenly which would give you that "kick" feeling. And do have a diagnostic scan done to see if the computer has any addtional useful information.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts