Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new to this forum. I drive a 2004 Impala with the 3.8.

Problem. When accelerating the car shudders and will not shift. This is only under hard acceleration. It can be from a dead stop or if I mash it blending on the highway. It literally falls on it's face almost like it's hitting the rev limiter but in drive. I can drive around normal and no one would know there is a problem. It's just if I floor it, it shudders and will not shift as stated. When I back off the throttle it will shift and go on fine. Somebody must have seen this before.

No codes, recent work in the last year, new MAF, new cat and resonator, plugs wires. Although the problem never showed around any of the work.

Also I have oil leaks and need to look into them drips on the ground behind the radiator, any common places to look.

Thanks

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Sounds kinda like a bad fuel pressure regulator, I'd check the fuel pressure.

For the oil leak, is it engine oil? Power steering fluid? Tranny fluid? Or coolant? Best bet really is to just trace it down to the highest, most forward point that is wet with it, that should be the source.

Reactions: agmc4me

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Sounds kinda like a bad fuel pressure regulator, I'd check the fuel pressure.

For the oil leak, is it engine oil? Power steering fluid? Tranny fluid? Or coolant? Best bet really is to just trace it down to the highest, most forward point that is wet with it, that should be the source.

Thanks for the reply. I did not have a clue which direction to look. I was thinking fuel filter, bad coil, or even transmission.

I'm a dam good DIY but don't have any special tools to check fuel pressure. How is it done? I have a few friends who are mechanics but would need to run by their places if this is a special tool.

My leak seems to be two fold one oil other trans. I will hopefully get around to tracing it this w/e but was hoping for some encouragement in some common area of problem.
I've fixed the coolant elbows this year it's not leaking there or in that area, PS pump replace a few years ago not that either.

EDIT: just watched a video on a fule pressure regulator. A small possible ahhhhHHHaaaaaa Lately occasionally I get a rev at start up and an occasional stall.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. I did not have a clue which direction to look. I was thinking fuel filter, bad coil, or even transmission.

I'm a dam good DIY but don't have any special tools to check fuel pressure. How is it done? I have a few friends who are mechanics but would need to run by their places if this is a special tool.

My leak seems to be two fold one oil other trans. I will hopefully get around to tracing it this w/e but was hoping for some encouragement in some common area of problem.
I've fixed the coolant elbows this year it's not leaking there or in that area, PS pump replace a few years ago not that either.

EDIT: just watched a video on a fule pressure regulator. A small possible ahhhhHHHaaaaaa Lately occasionally I get a rev at start up and an occasional stall.
Edit2: Pulled vacuum hose off fuel pressure regulator and let run for plenty of time. No fuel leaking that way. Are you saying it could be malfunctioning? I see nipple on reg is that where fuel pressure is checked?

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Yes that is where it is checked. The nipple is a release valve. You need a fuel pressure gauge kit. Most mechanics would have one. Or rent one at an autoparts store.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
To test fuel pressure, there is a schrader valve on the passenger end of the fuel rail, you need a gauge. A clogged fuel filter could also cause low pressure. However, you are right that it could be other things. Those symptoms could mean bad shift solenoids, or even a bad MAF. Diagnose one thing at a time, and don't throw parts at it if you don't have to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts