Impala Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 base model that blew a head gasket while I was 2.5 hours away from home. I was able to fill the cooling system with water enough to get me home but I did overheat several times in which I stopped the car immediately and burped cooling system/ added more water. After an hour of doing this my temp stayed steady right where it should but driving the next day it overheated again and that's when I realized I had a blown head gasket. I bought a felpro head gasket kit (all intake/ exhaust gaskets and head gaskets) also sent my head's in to be resurfaced. I replaced everything started my car and it seemed good but after the motor started to get warm it pushed all the water up into my coolant reservoir, my coolant temp sensor didn't say my coolant was hot (the sensor is in a weird place imo) but I know it was up over what my gauge read because I could hear the water boiling.
I did an exhaust gas leak test on my cooling system just hoping it was something easy like my water pump. Nope. I'm getting exhaust gases in my cooling system still. I've let the car sit for a month or so now and I'm wanting to get down to the bottom of this.
Any help is much appreciated. I plan on taking my head's back off and inspecting better for cracks in the block/ the head. Did I mess something up on the installation of the new gaskets? Don't think so but it's my first head gasket repair job, I would like to hear mistakes other people have made or further issues other have had with this motor when you think it might be the head gasket. Thanks again!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts