Impala Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My oil cap spooked me this morning, as some of you may know I have suspected a LIM problem so I have been checking my coolant oil and oil cap everday looking for any looming problems. This morning after driving my car for around 4 minutes I would say, I checked the oil cap and there was some white stuff on it. I figured alright I will drive it to work, look at it again, and then if it is worse or what not I will just have to take it to the shop and take a day out of work. When I got to work after about an hour of driving the oil cap looked as clean as a whistle, the oil level always looked normal and on the dip stick the oil itself looked no different. Tempratures wen't well below freezing last night in my area, but I don't think it could have been oil frozen on the cap, it takes serious cold tempratures for oil to start to freeze. Also my coolant level has remained the same for around 3000 miles now. I am going to take it in to get looked at soon but I am just wondering are there any other causes for a whitish substance on your oil cap beside the various gasket problems you can have?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've seen the same mysterious white substance in oil caps too. I think you've touched on part of the cause already.

When the car is started and ran for short periods of time, it will appear. If the car is brought up to normal operating temps on a regular basis, it might not appear. I've seen the white stuff many times on cars that make short trips and don't get up to temp. It might also have something to do with the quality of engine oil used, and proper crankcase ventilation/PCV valve operation.

I don't know if this is an indicator of larger problems, when the white stuff appears temporarily, but if driving or running the car longer clears it up, I personally wouldn't be real concerned. If it's there all the time, hot or cold, then I might start to worry.

Just my two pennies, your results may vary, yada yada.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
That usually is an indication of alot of short trips, condensation that does not get burnt off because the engine doen't get hot enough. If you drive to work every day an hour then it shouldn't be an issue. Does it take a long time to warm up? First thing I would check or have checked is the thermostat. What oil do you use?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts