Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2003 Impala with 104,000 miles. Bought new.

Noticed the traction control and light coming on for a few seconds when cold and starting to make a RIGHT turn from a stop at the end of the driveway. No ice or slippery road conditions.

Does not happen all the time. Just a few quick "groans" and it goes away.
Does not happen if I turn off the traction control or tuen LEFT.

Is this the right wheel bearing with the built in sensor going bad?
Can I keep the Trac off if to expensive to fix?

Have a 2nd car for snow if needed.

Thanks!

John

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
If you have GM good wrench replace the bearing the cost is right around the $300.00

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Likely front abs harness wires. Before you go replacing the wheel hubs: Take front wheels off and inspect wire harnesses, disconnect abs plugs and clean hub/connector with compressed air, then apply dielectric grease to both pins. If problem still persists, take all wheels off, turn key to "ON" position and check voltage at each abs plug (disconnect plug from hub). They should all be around 5V DC. This will require a MULTIMETER! I also, recommend wiggling the abs harness's (remove hold-downs if possible w/o breaking) while checking voltage. This may require a second person. These harness's have a factory defect in which, GM wrapped the wires inside the looming with tape which, causes binding therfor breaking or fraying of wires.

It takes very little moisture to make these abs sensor go whack. Which, is why I apply dielectric grease to them before every winter.

If it ONLY happens during turning it is likely the abs harness's or connections. Don't always assume it is the Sensor/hub's!!

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
X2 sounds like a chafed wire or a loose sensor/corroded sensor

1 - 6 of 6 Posts