Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Having gone through many of the complaints aired in this forum about difficulties in starting the car, I would like to point out that going to the dealer does not always answer the problem. My dealer did not have an annswer. He saw that I was using a copy of the original key and suggested that I use the original. So I made a second copy (just to have) and got charged 17 dollars and when I used the original even that did not work. So I turned the key 10-20 times and it started....... and I drove off.
I'm reading about 2001's and 2003's that have this strange difficulty with turning the key and nothing happens. In my situation, the radio works, the lights work, and I have not seen the security light go on.
After I turn the key about 10-20 times the engine turns over like nothing happened. Any suggestions?
Is this why the NYPD keep their cars running?

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
If I am reading this correctly that you turn the key to the "start position" and there is no clicking or even the starter motor trying to turn then I would have someone check with a volt meter to see if the wire at the starter that trips the starter has power. If no voltage to the small gage wire at the starter when the key is in the "start postion" then the fault is between the key and the starter motor. If there is voltage to the motor (again at the thin wire (smaller diameter) then the fault is the starter motor itself.

If your key is on the dash instead of the steering colum have the dealer (or someone whom has done this before) realign the key cylinder to the ignition box it operates. On one car I know of the owner had a misalignment and caused the same problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts