Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello; I have a 2003 Impala and on some occasions the security light will illuminate and sometimes thereafter when I turn the ignition key it will not turn over. After leaving it sit for 20 - 30 minutes it will start. Have had it back to the dealer for repair several times and after $500 - $600 it still has the problem. The latest comment from the dealer was maybe I should get rid of it. Thier next suggestions are that the Passkey system is not recognizing the keys and to replace the ignition lock cylinder ($222) and the ignition switch ($533) + labor.
Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Jim

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Passkey was the problem all along, what did you pay the dealer $500-600 for if they didn't touch those things? I think the repair should be on them since they couldn't get it right before, they're incompetence is not your liability. You can get the parts and do it all yourself for a lot less, but I would try doing a passlock relearn first. Turn the ignition on, but don't start the car, leave it that way for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, start the vehicle, turn it off, and repeat the procedure 3 more times. Once that is done, hopefully the system will be reset and won't give you more trouble. However to try and keep it that way, try for all future starting, wait 2 seconds from the time you turn the ignition on, to actually starting the vehicle. This will give the components a little time to communicate better and hopefully avoid this problem occurring again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for the suggestions. I will go through the procedures this afternoon and will post the results.
Jim

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Hope it keeps working for you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Replace your igintion switch it will cure the problem and takes about an hour to do follow a good manual.2000-2005 Chevrolet Impala Ignition Switch - Dorman 924-701

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
A year and almost 3 months on this one, look at post dates.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm trying this right now. I have been having starting issues and I think it is related to this. Random no starts. Car could start fine then run to the store come out to go home and nothing. Really odd. I have notice that when it happen this morning that after I tried to start it the security light flashed 3 times then went to door open and then battery symbol as normal of the message center. I assume it security related cause I have also switch the starter relay with the ac relay one last month. Took 20mins or so to finally get it to start. So hopefully this will be a fix. Doing my first 30mins right now. Fingers crossed. I'll keep you guys posted. How long should I let the car run in-between the 30mins? I don't want to drain my battery.

Thanks
-Scott

·
Registered
42 Posts
So today I went to work fine, and when leaving work the security light showed up again after doing the reset pass lock procedure two days ago. I have had any non starts yet but I assume they are right around the corner, hahahah. I went to lowes the and when i left the light stayed off this time.

So what is the next step, should I clean the contacts or terminals on the ignition switch or should I look at the BCM terminals for cleaning?

Thanks

·
Registered
177 Posts
Replace the ignition switch. Only fix for it. Check to see if the recall affects the impala. I know it does on my alero and they have the same switch.

·
Super Moderator
1,591 Posts
The recall does affect the Impala but, they are not replacing the ignition switch they are providing a key insert.

·
Registered
42 Posts
my car is an 03 impala and was part of the recall in June this year, but didn't seem like they were going to replace the switch, they would just put something on the outter part of the lock cylinder and tell me not to hang a bunch of keys from it. Ill call them and check to see what they say. I can get a new switch for about 65 bucks at an ac deco dealer. Might just do it myself seems easy enough hopefully I won't have to reset the pass lock again. That took 2hrs to do it 4 times for 30mins. If I have to reset the pass lock can i do it in 15min intervals?

·
Super Moderator
1,591 Posts
The key insert is added to the existing key to prevent additional keys from making the keys turn while in the ignition.
Before Recall: key on the left
After Recall: key on the right

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
hahaha I just called the local dealer and said there was no open recalls on my car now but when I check in July on GM's website it was there, will have to double check GM's website tonight.

Should i get the acdelco part or a dorman switch?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well i did the job today with a doorman switch form advance auto for $53 bucks the Acdelco was $120. Was an easy job and the car started right up so hopefully its done. did some errands and had to work tonight and no issue or security light. Fingers crossed. The original one did have some black electrical marks on a couple of the contacts so i will try to post that tomorrow was thinking about cleaning them and reinstalling it but who knows where else the black stuff could be within the switch and pins itself. Bad connections are probably all over the old switch.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
The contacts inside the switch fail or get dirty. Usually the source of the problem. Most people just replace the switch as I did too.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts