Impala Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a couple weird occurances in the last few days, and I am wondering if I should be concerned or if it was just random quirks. First, a couple days ago, I went out to the car after work, started it, and had no dash lights. It was dark, and the lights were all completely out, except for the LCD displays of the gear range/mileage display (at about 162,800) and the radio, which looked like they had been dimmed all the way down. I shut the car off, restarted it, and all was fine, so I drove home. My next issue, which has been happening for a few days now, is that the gear range/ mileage display is flickering slightly. It is always flickering whether the lights are on or off, and whether it is set bright or dim. The radio display is not flickering. The last, and most recent issue, is that the clock display on the radio reset itself to 12:00. I got in the car after work, (about (5:30pm) and the clock showed 12:00. It kept time as I drove home (12:13 when I got home). The radio presets were all still set though. odd. Thanks!

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Hmm this is weird and I have never heard of such a thing. Let's see what others have to say as I am kinda stumped. Possibly a bcm but, I doubt that.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
So, never had any issues starting the car? Have you recently had any dash lights come on?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
It never failed to start, but usually turns over a few times if it is warm (driven within the last hour or so), and the only dash light is the check engine, which I had scanned and it is the egr. The air bag light is going on and off randomly, it has been off about a week now.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
It never failed to start, but usually turns over a few times if it is warm (driven within the last hour or so), and the only dash light is the check engine, which I had scanned and it is the egr. The air bag light is going on and off randomly, it has been off about a week now.

First, clean or replace the headlight ground located next to the driver's headlight under the hood. Check, clean, or replace body ground that is connected to the negative on the battery. Check all battery posts and bolt's also. Also check/clean/replace ground underneath stock airbox located adjacent to the accumulator. If problem persists, read below.

The airbag light going on and off has me thinking it is the ignition switch. Mine was also doing this at the beginning stages of it failing and I thought nothing of it. Later down the line the "security light" started popping up and car wouldn't start (due to passlock switch failure). I again thought nothing of it and dealt with it. Eventually, the ignition switch started sending the wrong voltage to my brake control module and fried it. This is what a failing ignition switch will do. I would be willing to bet the ignition switch and cylinder need to be replaced.

How many miles on the LS? These ignition switches and cylinders tend to fail around 80-120k miles or so but, can before that. You can replace these by yourself by removing the dash (not fun but, done easily enough). I would recommend replacing the switch and cylinder at the same time. The cylinder will require "keying" or assembling the tumblers to match your key. Not worth while to do yourself. Bring to a locksmith or dealer and they will do it for $20-40 max. Just need to bring them your key but, bringing the old cylinder will likely help them also (if able to).

Buy parts from rockauto!! This is by far the cheapest place to buy replacement parts.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will check those grounds, and I think you may be right about the ignition switch, I have had to take the key out and turn it over to get it to turn in the ignition a couple times. My car has almost 163,000 miles, but it doesn't have the passlock system (no chip on the key)

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
I will check those grounds, and I think you may be right about the ignition switch, I have had to take the key out and turn it over to get it to turn in the ignition a couple times. My car has almost 163,000 miles, but it doesn't have the passlock system (no chip on the key)
Not all Passlock systems have a chip in the key. Mine has passlock and does NOT have a chip in the key. The passlock switch is actually located at the end of the key cylinder. If the button sticks or the key doesn't fully depress it (too short), the car won't start. Generally this is from wear and tear or gunk/dirt building up inside the cylinder. The passlock system is just a precaution for woodbe thiefs.

Edit: I thought you said you didn't have problems starting the car?

When you are asking questions on this forum PLEASE post all information that you may think is related. Not trying to "dog" you just saying all this information is required in order to help diagnose the problem.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didnt think that was related. I cleaned the key really well with alcohol and it has been fine since. I think the key had enough crud built up in the cut grooves that it was messing with the switch, thinking I had the wrong key.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Gotcha. I would also recommend blowing compressed air into the key cylinder.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
I will do that. It seems to be working now, and my clock is still set.
Sweet. It's crazy what a simple dirty key or ignition cylinder will cause or do. :eek:k3:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts