Impala Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi, I have a2003 Chevrolet Impala LT, 3.8L V6 engine with 80,000 miles. When driving up asteep hill, I’ll step on the gas pedal but there is little power. The car seemsto want to take off at first, but then it will kick back down. Twice whendriving up hill I would press down all the way on the pedal and the check engine lightwould flash, but not come on steady. I had it to a local mechanic who changedthe spark plugs and wires but it’s still happening, I’m dropping it off againon Monday for him to take a look at the gas filter. He checked for codes but nocodes came up. On level streets it runsfine, but I live in a hilly area. This seemed to start happening after a heavyrain and became worse. I bought the car two years ago and it has an aftermarketCode Alarm automatic starter. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
It could be a misfire on one of the cylinders but i would expect it to be more noticable than you are experiencing.

A clogged catalytic converter has been known to reduce power because of excessive back pressure but I would suspect that scenario would leave a permanent code.

I would have your coils checked for tracking and maybe remove them and ensure the contacts on your ignition module are clean and making proper contact. If it increases when wet its almost always an ignition problem, and since you have replaced the wires already, i would move along to coil packs and the module i mentioned.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Agreed, also a flashing CEL always means misfire. I'm a little surprised he didn't find any codes, but I'm guessing he didn't look for stored codes.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Glad you got it fixed! And Welcome to the forum!

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Good to hear! The cat is a common failure point on these...

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
My 9 year old cat is still sexy. Living the dream.
some things are best left unsaid :giggle:
do we need to change your screen name to clawed badly:yikes:

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I'm thinking "beastmaster"

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was having problems anytime I tried to speed up to pass, no power going uphill. A couple times the check engine light came on. I keep an obd 2 reader in my car, it was always a random misfire (don't remember the code number) it started jerking up hills. The car wouldn't shift right and once I hit 4000 rpm it would start to backfire. I just replaced the catalytic converter all the problems have gone away. I now have takeoff power power uphill the car even shifts properly again. I spent 315 on the converter with pipes and the 2 seals and replaced it myself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts