Impala Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How's everyone doing in here? 2 issues I have.

1) Before I turn on the car (leaving the key on ACC or On) the lights on the radio and the display behind the steering wheel are bright but when I turn over the car the lights in the radio and front display dim out almost completely. During the day, there are no issues with the lights but when the daytime running lights kick on the lights dim out on the radio and the display and I was wondering if it was a fuse issue or something more.

and...

2) the service engine soon light turned on the night before inspection. I haven't noticed a change in sound and/or performance. I was wondering if this is something that can be shut off before the inspection without spending $$$$.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

You can go to a parts store or garage and have the codes scanned and erased with an OBD2 scanner.

My lights do the same thing occasionally, I just don't pay it no attention. I wouldn't think a fuse since it still has power. Possibly the headlight switch failing, since it controls the brightness of the lights by rotating it.

For future reference the DIY section is for solutions to problems, not questions. All is well though, just don't want your posts being deleted. :beer:

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Most auto parts stores will NO longer clear codes due to a liability. Found this out a few months ago.

Could be many different things causing this problem such as: Headlight switch, Ignition switch, or Ambient light sensor on dash

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
This is normal. The lights are brighter during the day because they are harder to see in sunlight. When it gets dark they dim some so they don't blind you. Try it out during the day by throwing a hat over the sensor.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Side note: if it is going dark during the day make sure the sensor at the front of the dash is clean, unobstructed and working properly. If your DRL's are running, ie: daytime, it should be bright on your radio and cluster.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Mine are really dim intermittently day or night it just comes and goes no matter how much light is out

·
Premium Member
18,506 Posts
Pumba!!! :lol: I LIKE it!!:giggle:

Welcome! This may sound silly, but is the dimmer on the headlight switch set properly?? It may be dimmed all the way... Oh, and....Can we get som ePICS of the ride??? HMMM???

1 - 7 of 7 Posts