Impala Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

Let me start by saying that I'm not a car guy (I'm a computer guy) but I have successfully installed aftermarket car audio a few times before. Anyway, I have a new (discontinued) Clarion DXZ585USB radio and a new (discontinued) Scosche GM11 interface/harness kit for my new (to me) 2003 Chevy Impala. I've connected the GM11 and Radio wiring, set up the radio in a double-din adapter, gotten the dash off, removed the old (stock) radio, and installed the new radio/interface. The car still starts, and the radio turns on, but no sound comes out of anywhere. No chimes (which the GM11 is supposed to take care of) and no radio. Now, even if the GM11 is bad, shouldn't I still get sound from the radio? If I hook the old radio back up I get chimes and sound just fine, and the only (new) radio wires with fuses are the power leads, and it powers up just fine, so I don't think it's a fuse issue. There were some discrepancies with wiring colors matching (orange=illumination vs orange/white=dimmer), but the speaker wires all matched up just fine.

I *really* don't want to spend any more money on this (bought radio on sale before I knew I'd need the interface) and I'm not looking forward to driving to work tomorrow with a disassembled dash... Anyone have any insights they can share?

-John

·
Registered
657 Posts
have you tried just hooking up the basic wires? power, ground, speakers? i just used the GM11 not too long ago with my AvicF900bt and it works flawlessly.

·
Registered
657 Posts
the reason i say that is because i didnt hook up my illumination and dimmer wires. that may be part of the prob.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
have you tried just hooking up the basic wires? power, ground, speakers?
Okay... tried that, no change. Hooking up old radio still works fine, so definitely no fuse issues. I hate to spend more money on this, but I have to assume that my (un-returnable) GM11 is bad. May just wire new radio in parallel with old radio (stuffing the old radio under the dash or something). Thoughts?

·
Registered
1 Posts
GM11 No sound

Greetings,

The Blue/White wire from the GM11 is responsible for activating the factory amplifier.

Please verify that the Blue/White wire from the GM11 is connected to the Blue/White Remote Turn-on wire from the new stereo and that it is receiving voltage.

Please feel free to forward any further concerns.

Best regards,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Blue/White wire from the GM11 is responsible for activating the factory amplifier.

Please verify that the Blue/White wire from the GM11 is connected to the Blue/White Remote Turn-on wire from the new stereo and that it is receiving voltage.

Please feel free to forward any further concerns.
You, my friend, are my hero. This was the problem. The GM11 has a Blue/White wire, but the GM11 directions don't even mention it, so, not knowing what it was for, I didn't connect it. The radio makes noise now. :)

I have discovered a weird issue though... whereas the car with the OEM radio installed would chime if you put the car in gear with the emergency brake on, the car with the aftermarket radio + GM11 now kills power to the radio instead (no chime) and won't bring it back without turning off and restarting the car. :/ Is this the expected behavior of a GM11??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts