Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang,
I'm brand new here,but I am at my wits end with this issue,..2003 Impala,.4 wheel disk brakes,non-abs,.had the front calipers replaced and now the pedal drops straight to the floor
with no resistance what-so-ever,bleed out all four wheel,.replaced master cylinder,replaced Dr's front flex hose,.still pedal straight to the floor.Now if the engine is not running,there is some resistance in the pedal,.actually a lot,but it will still slowly drop,.
I unplugged the valve from the booster,replaced it with one I know was working,there was a air pressure release too.and still pedal straight to the floor,.I have never had this type of problem before,usually if air is present I would get at least a little bit of resistance and then a slow steady drop,.any ideas would be very helpful,.
Thanks a head of time !!
Billy

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Hey Gang,
I'm brand new here,but I am at my wits end with this issue,..2003 Impala,.4 wheel disk brakes,non-abs,.had the front calipers replaced and now the pedal drops straight to the floor
with no resistance what-so-ever,bleed out all four wheel,.replaced master cylinder,replaced Dr's front flex hose,.still pedal straight to the floor.Now if the engine is not running,there is some resistance in the pedal,.actually a lot,but it will still slowly drop,.
I unplugged the valve from the booster,replaced it with one I know was working,there was a air pressure release too.and still pedal straight to the floor,.I have never had this type of problem before,usually if air is present I would get at least a little bit of resistance and then a slow steady drop,.any ideas would be very helpful,.
Thanks a head of time !!
Billy
When you put the new calipers on, did you maybe swap sides such that the bleeder screws are on the bottom instead of the top? That would allow air to remain trapped in the calipers, thus letting the pedal to drop easily.

Also, if you put a new master cylinder in, that can require lots of bleeding to get all the air out.

Doug

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you put the new calipers on, did you maybe swap sides such that the bleeder screws are on the bottom instead of the top? That would allow air to remain trapped in the calipers, thus letting the pedal to drop easily.

Also, if you put a new master cylinder in, that can require lots of bleeding to get all the air out.

Doug
Hey Doug,
Thanks for responding,.and yes,a funny note here,when they installed the calipers,they did mix up the sides,.when I stuck my head under to take a look,the bleeders were on the bottom,so I had to take them off,and switch sides with them,.and rebleed the system again,.as for the master,bench bleed,.then rebleed the system again,.no difference between the old and new master's,so I'm thinking it was a hit and miss with that part,.the only thing left is to replace the booster,but it does have pressure and its a bit ironic it would happen right after the caliper replacement.
It just baffles me that the pedal goes straight to the floor when the engine is running,.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Doug,
Thanks for responding,.and yes,a funny note here,when they installed the calipers,they did mix up the sides,.when I stuck my head under to take a look,the bleeders were on the bottom,so I had to take them off,and switch sides with them,.and rebleed the system again,.as for the master,bench bleed,.then rebleed the system again,.no difference between the old and new master's,so I'm thinking it was a hit and miss with that part,.the only thing left is to replace the booster,but it does have pressure and its a bit ironic it would happen right after the caliper replacement.
It just baffles me that the pedal goes straight to the floor when the engine is running,.
and maybe I will rebleed the master out,.its on the car but will not be hard to do,.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts