Impala Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty new to this and don't know to much about cars but i have a 2003 Chevy Impala with a brand new Battery in it. The other day i went to get coffee and i came out and the car was dead. I jumped it and it started up and was good. Then tonight i was out and when i got back to my car not even 20 minutes later it was dead again. I jumped it and it started up and was good for the rest of the night. Any one know what might be wrong ?

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
When you say DEAD, no click from starter, no lights, starter spins no fire?

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
Just gonna go out on a Lim with limited info from the op and bet it's a bad alternator or the new battery wasn't installed right. (the positive or negative is loose)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The lights come on but the motor doesn't make a sound and I had the alternator checked out and they said it was totally fine

·
Registered
114 Posts
Check all of the wires and grounds! something maybe loose.

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
Check connections on battery if good check connections at starter if these are good have battery tested. Sounds like battery is going if your alternator tested good.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
But I recently purchased the battery over the summer
This doesn't mean a thing. Batteries can fail at any time :eek:k3:

·
Banned
667 Posts
I'm pretty new to this and don't know to much about cars but i have a 2003 Chevy Impala with a brand new Battery in it. The other day i went to get coffee and i came out and the car was dead. I jumped it and it started up and was good. Then tonight i was out and when i got back to my car not even 20 minutes later it was dead again. I jumped it and it started up and was good for the rest of the night. Any one know what might be wrong ?
huge current leak somewhere or bad alternator.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The alternator got checked and it fine and the battery got checked today and it fine as well

·
Registered
222 Posts
Is the battery fully charged? I have purchased brand new batteries from NAPA and Canadian Tire, that were barely 50% charge. Nobody offers to charge the battery up.

So I hook the battery up to one of these

Batteryminders Specials | BatteryMinders.com

and leave it alone for a few days.

Whenever a battery goes dead for no reason, first thing to do is properly charge it back up. A jump start and driving a bit does NOT properly charge a battery.

A good example is my step-daughter, who is at University. She tries to be independent and not bug me, but I would prefer she bug me than let something go. Around a month ago she left the dome light on in her car, and the battery was dead the next morning. She got a friend to boost it and it started.

Over the next few days, in temps of -30 C and a bit colder, it needed a couple more jump starts. She finally called me in frustration.

The car is a 2008 Hyundai Accent. When she bought the car used a couple of years ago, it had sat for awhile and the battery was totally dead. I got her a new OEM battery, charged it with my Battery Minder charger for a week, and swapped batteries.

I put the original battery on a spare Battery Minder I have, put it under the basement work bench, and forgot all about it. So when she called, I quickly checked the battery and it was perfectly charged. Drove over to her apartment, froze my giblets off swapping the batteries, and it fired right up.

Checked with a DMM and the voltage was 13.9. No problem since either.

Yes, I have the other battery on the Battery Minder and may swap it sometime this summer, if I get to it. No harm leaving it on the Battery Minder all the time.

So the first thing I would do is remove the battery and properly charge it. Once you have verified the battery is properly charged, do a load test on it. If it passes the load test, charge it properly again.

Once installed, start the car and use a DMM to check the voltage. If the voltage is under about 13.2 volts, the alternator is hooped. If the voltage is good, you may have a phantom load somewhere.

Do you leave a cell phone charger or radar detector or other device plugged into the cigarette lighter all the time? Trunk light stuck on?

Random electrical loads can be very difficult to track down

Another thing to check are all the ground points, especially for the battery. Back out the bolt at the body, and snug down again. Over time, corrosion can set in and cause electrical problems too

1 - 12 of 12 Posts