Impala Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My son and I have bought a very nice condition 2003 Impala.
When attempting to switch functions from floor, or vents to defrost, not much change occurs to air flow. So my question is where is the door actuator that controls those functions? I have bought this actuator hoping its the correct one( Amazon.com: HVAC Blend Door Actuator - Replaces 604107, 16124932, 16177412, 604-107 - Compatible with Chevy, GMC Vehicles and More - Tahoe, Malibu, Monte Carlo, Corvette, K1500 Suburban, Yukon, Regal: Automotive), but now I am reading that it is air or vacuum controlled, but I am not finding anything concrete in Google.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Hi,
My son and I have bought a very nice condition 2003 Impala.
When attempting to switch functions from floor, or vents to defrost, not much change occurs to air flow. So my question is where is the door actuator that controls those functions? I have bought this actuator hoping its the correct one( Amazon.com: HVAC Blend Door Actuator - Replaces 604107, 16124932, 16177412, 604-107 - Compatible with Chevy, GMC Vehicles and More - Tahoe, Malibu, Monte Carlo, Corvette, K1500 Suburban, Yukon, Regal: Automotive), but now I am reading that it is air or vacuum controlled, but I am not finding anything concrete in Google.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to the forum. I hope you and your son enjoy your Impala.

I didn't realize the gen7 Impalas used any electric actuators in the HVAC system - I thought they were all vacuum operated.

Drilling down some, it looks like the two hot/cold actuators (left and right) are both electric. I think that's what you purchased off Amazon.

But there are (at least) 3 vacuum operated actuators: inlet valve (aka recirc actuator), defroster valve, and mode valve. I assume the latter controls the floor and dash vents.

You could be dealing with a bad actuator, a bad control valve (knob on dash) or a leaking hose.

I would start with cranking the fan up and playing with the vent selector knob, and try to narrow down exactly which settings are bad.

Next, remove the HVAC control unit from the dash. Removing actuator hoses one at a time, use a vacuum pump to manually drive the various hoses to see which actuators are working and which ones are not.

This may require some documentation to identify the various hoses and the locations of the actuators. My Haynes manual isn't much help for the vents and actuators. Maybe consider a subscription to alldatadiy.com for access to factory drawings. You can get a year for about the price of a Haynes manual.

Doug

·
Registered
42 Posts
There's a thin vacuum hose coming off the back of the manifold. Follow it down to where it goes behind the end of the battery. A small section there was damaged on my 2003.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts