Impala Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a question similar to this earlier, but there have been some new developments. Anyways, I have a '03 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 liter V6 with 70k miles. Recently, there has been a clunking noise when I shift from P to R or D to R. Also, there is a clunking noise if I make a quick stop. It seems like this occurs when the car downshifts from 2nd to 1st. The transmission also seems to just be acting funny, like shifting more often and a little bit harder. I called the dealership and they thought it was the tranny mounts, but I have also heard CV axle and transmission pass thru connector. Any ideas? And any cost estimates would be great, thanks!
I plan to take it to the dealer this weekend, but would like some ideas as to what the problem may be, so I have some knowledge before they start suggesting things. I appreciate any friendly, helpful advice.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
All my cars are gm & the ones that have automatics do make a hard jerky-like shift to first when you're about to stop. Like if I'm at 3 mph & almsot stopped I can feel it hit first gear. So if you dont like it start driving sticks then "you controll how it shifts"! But really its wise to change you're fluid every 36,000 miles. i dont care what someone else says tranny fluid is just like engine oil it breaks down & when the fluid fails the tranny has to work alot harder. You said lately its been feeling weird. Get the fluis changed & also check to see if you have a "detent" or "Kick-down linkage" & if you do have that adjusted too.

Someone who doesent know GM trannies will have NO CLUE what the kickdown linkage does. Then again you have an 03 so it should be an electronically controlled tranny. So in any case it needs to go to the dealer. A tranny shop will just try to sell you an $1800 rebuild & it may or may not cure you're problem. So get you're credit card out!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts