Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening Gents, So I've already swapped in a 6 gauge cluster from a 2004 monte carlo. Even added leds.All the other gauges work in my 2003 impala. Just curious does anyone have a clear answer on how to get the oil pressure gauge to work on a 3.4L? I've searched but I keep finding the same threads. I've seen a few saying to just swap the oil pressure sensor to that of a 3.8L and I've seen a rabbit hole of a thread where the guy was saying you'd have to swap bin files in the pcm. I don't see the point in doing work on the pcm for that but I'd swap a sensor or whatever. I've seen the oil pressure sensors of both and from what I can see the sensor for a 3.4L only has one contact inside vs the 3.8L which has 3 contacts. So if anyone is out there could you throw me a lil knowledge?

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Definitely swap the sensor and go from there.
I did a cluster swap in a 3.8 and it worked fine with the 3.8 pressure sensor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Definitely swap the sensor and go from there.
I did a cluster swap in a 3.8 and it worked fine with the 3.8 pressure sensor.
I guess that makes sense, but with the sensor from a 3.8 having 3 prongs and my harness having only 1 what do you suggest? I guess I'll try something when I get back.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I guess that makes sense, but with the sensor from a 3.8 having 3 prongs and my harness having only 1 what do you suggest? I guess I'll try something when I get back.
Will the connector itself plug in to the 3.8 sensor? If it won’t then yeah that would be a problem.
If it does, it may just use the one pin to read resistance changes, IDK.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will the connector itself plug in to the 3.8 sensor? If it won’t then yeah that would be a problem.
If it does, it may just use the one pin to read resistance changes, IDK.
Im gonna look up a diagram to see what I'm missing. I'll see if it just need ground or something lol. Thanks tho, If I find out anything I'll post here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi people, I'm new to the site. I have an 04 base model 3.4. I decided to take a trip to local bone yard and found a 03 Monte 3.8 SS pace car with a mint condition 6 gauge limited edition cluster, what a score. So it was plug and play. Plugged it up and bingo even 1600 miles less than my original. The problem was oil pressure didn't work. So I thought maybe sending unit needs to be for gauge not dummy light. Went to parts store and got sending unit for gauge but it has 2 prong the oem is only one. Went back to bone yard and got the plug from the Monte. Perfect plugged right into the new sender. The original wire is the same tan with black tracer and the other wire is black with white tracer. Now I believe the black with white tracer is ground and I also determined that with a little research on the web. Wired in the brown with black tracer to original terminal wire and of course installed new sender ran the other wire (black with white tracer to ground) and still no pressure. I'm pretty sure the oil pressure gauge is good cause it jumps a little like others when the key is turned into accessory. Every other gauge works fine. Anyone got any thoughts on this. I really want the op gauge to work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts