Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can a 4T65E leak from besides the transmission pan. (not leaking from pan)

Looks like its coming from drivers side however, new halfshaft on passenger side. New wheel seals on both sides (replaced the one on drivers side more than once (once with aftermarket seal; however, ATF was still disapearing and leak looked like its from driver side seal so replaced again with GM seal. Still losing ATF.

Tranny shifts fine, car rides nice even on highway at about 80mph, but at times will hesitate when pulling a u turn. When it hesitates fluid won't even reach dipstick. It lost more than a quart on a 80 mile highway drive.

Car has been in family since new now it has about 115K on it.

History of the leak oldest daughter has been driving it for a little more than 3 years. A few months ago she told me that it was vibrating and making funny noise, and would hesitate when pulling a U turn. I went to trouble shoot and there was no ATF showing on stick although car was hot since it was just back from (50+ mile drive) I ran out and bought atf, filled car and went for test drive (still a vibration and noise ) long story short it was passenger side half shaft was bad and driverside halfshaft was dripping ATF . That weekend I installed halfshaft and two wheel seals. Drove car and it rode great and noise and vibration was gone. Cleaned everthing up, and less than a week later daughter was complaining that car would hestitating as making U turn. Sure enough no fluid on stick but oil leak still looked to be from driver side halfshaft. We did not use a GM seal on driverside since II did the install on a weekend and bought the parts during the week. So I bought GM seal for driverside.

It is still using a couple of quarts of ATF a week. I pulled the pan and filter and IOT ensure that the pan could not be part of the leak I (sealed it with "the Right Stuff") so trans pan leak is not part of the equation.

Tranny never used to use any ATF in between 35-40K mile filter changes, now its using a couple of quarts a week.

WHERE CAN IT BE LEAKING FROM and/or why is it leaking ?

Thanks for reading??

Mike

·
Registered
557 Posts
Clean it off with either brake parts cleaner or degreaser, and jack up the front end, and look to see if you have any new leaks. There's only a few places it could be leaking.

Torque Converter Seal (pull the trans)
Axle Seals
Trans Cooler Lines
Lower Trans Pan
Side Trans Pan
And Trans Cooler Line Connectors (on trans and on Radiator)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Clean it off with either brake parts cleaner or degreaser, and jack up the front end, and look to see if you have any new leaks. There's only a few places it could be leaking.

Torque Converter Seal (pull the trans)
Axle Seals
Trans Cooler Lines
Lower Trans Pan
Side Trans Pan
And Trans Cooler Line Connectors (on trans and on Radiator)
Thanks for info on the possible leakage areas! I have cleaned it it just leaks so bad on the highway that its all over. Is there a transmission vent? Which side is the sidepan on. It really looks like its coming from the axle seal, however, axle has no grooving and I've replaced the seal. Is there a reason the a properly installed seal would leak on a nongrooved axle (ie: is there a sleave or bearing that guide the axle)?Im sorry but I've been on/am on travel and trying to get some ideas so that I could quickly get this resolved (hopefully when I get home this weekend)

Any way talking to my daughter I've been messing with the passenger side (she pulled the reciepts on the parts and 2 axles seals on passenger side so that is the side that the oil is on...initially)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't own a impala, but I do have a vehicle that has a 4T65E transmission, and I've had the same problem with no solution until yesterday from my mechanic.

I, too, changed the seal and the axle with the same frustrating continual stream of fluid coming out. So, I thought I would write what I found to help out others who might come across the same problem.

Turns out there is an o-ring/seal around the axle output shaft area.

Without actually doing the work, it looks like the transaxle side case cover would have to come off, and then you would have to replace the "side cover to channel plate seal" (see the link below for a diagram). Another less invasive potential solution (which my transmission mechanic is doing) would be to silicone the leaking area good enough to stop the leak.

Here is a link to a book/manual on the transmission. It's labeled Buick, but I'm sure there is another version or title for the impala: https://www.scribd.com/doc/60667775/Trasmision-Automatic-A-Buick-Oldmobile-4T65E#

Around page 111 there are visual breakdowns for o-rings, bushings, bearing, and seals.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts