Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, new to this great site with lots of info on this generation Impala. My father-in-law recently passed away and my wife and I are thinking about purchasing his 2002 Impala from her siblings. It’s a Base model with the 3.4 V6 and 42,000 miles. The car was always serviced by the dealer. Recent oil changes at least once a year. LIM gasket replaced under warranty in 12/05 at 20K. New tires to replace OEM ones in 5/10 @ 37K, with intermediate steering shaft replacement and alignement, as well. The body and interior are in great shape, except for a few 'senior citizen' scrapes on the exterior. One concern. The service records keep showing dead batteries, with it being replaced in 7/08, 6/10, 12/10, 1/12, 3/12 and 11/12. Is this the ’pass lock’ gremlin being misdiagnosed? Also, what do you guys think would be a fair offer? I was going to try to offer $3000.00 Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hi everyone, new to this great site with lots of info on this generation Impala. My father-in-law recently passed away and my wife and I are thinking about purchasing his 2002 Impala from her siblings. It’s a Base model with the 3.4 V6 and 42,000 miles. The car was always serviced by the dealer. Recent oil changes at least once a year. LIM gasket replaced under warranty in 12/05 at 20K. New tires to replace OEM ones in 5/10 @ 37K, with intermediate steering shaft replacement and alignement, as well. The body and interior are in great shape, except for a few 'senior citizen' scrapes on the exterior. One concern. The service records keep showing dead batteries, with it being replaced in 7/08, 6/10, 12/10, 1/12, 3/12 and 11/12. Is this the ’pass lock’ gremlin being misdiagnosed? Also, what do you guys think would be a fair offer? I was going to try to offer $3000.00 Thanks for any input.
I didn't look up the book value but that sounds pretty fair. It's got very low miles for a 2002 but that being said it's still eleven years old. Good tires are nice and I would think brake rotors, tie rods, ball joints etc are all in good shape. I would be concerned about the battery drain issue though. Electrical drain issues are a pain to track down and can run a good pile of money if a shop is doing the diagnosis. Have they tried replacing the ignition switch?

The other concern I would have is the intake manifold gasket. If they used the crap OEM gaskets (likely since it was the dealer) the problem will almost certainly come back at any time. I got burned by this. Got 13 months (one month out of repair warranty) and only 10,000 miles on the new OEM gaskets.

My 2 cents

·
Banned
667 Posts
battery could have been going dead due to the lack of driving.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
True, but nothing a charge couldn't fix. What made all those batteries need to be replaced? That is troublesome...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Perhaps non-use could be the culprit, but that's an awful lot of replacements--maybe just bad batch of batteries! The service paperwork reads as follows:

3/8/05 - Battery leaking acid from positive terminal --replaced
7/14/08 - Battery, dead cell --replaced
6/23/10 Replace battery --no explanation
12/13/10 Necessary to replace battery --no explanation
1/30/12 Electrical system check, replace battery --no explanation
3/30/12 Dead cell, replace battery
11/30/12 Tested battery with GR-8, perform draw test-no draw found. Checked charging system-alternator good, CHARGED BATTERY(sorry, I previously posted it had been replaced on this date)

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Sounds like they were blindly replacing them...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts