Impala Forums banner

2002 impala transmission

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  sidemouse 
#1 ·
Hi guys, this is my first time posting on the site. So I bought an 02 impala with the 3.8 engine from my neighbors. I didn't need the car, I already have an 02 impala, but with the smaller engine. They needed money so I bought it for $120 just to help them out. Here is why I got it cheap.
Car starts and engine runs good, he has almost $1,000 worth of invoices of the work the shop did to the engine, BUT I believe he blew the tranny. He was stuck in the snow outside the house and was out there drunk revving up the car for half hour trying to get it out till the tranny started smoking and the wheels quit spinning. My plan was to part it out but I've been thinking about replacing the transmission. I know where to get a good used one for $150 and I can do all the work myself, that's not a problem. The dilemma is if it's worth the time to do that much work to a car that old. The other questions is, what are my options for a transmission, does it need to be out of a 3.8? Can I use one out of a Buick, Pontiac, or a similar GM car and have no issues? I've never done a tranny swap in this particular car. Any advice or suggestions are really appreciated. Thanks a lot.

#2 ·
Yeah, first you need to determine if the transmission is in fact gone or bad.
Then you'll need to figure out what other problems the car has and I suggest making a list.
Get it all together, everything that car needs, cost, hours, all that.
Once you have it all together compare your figure to the car's present blue book value in fair to good condition.
If your figure is higher than the blue book, not worth it.
If less, go for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.