Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to add an aux input to my wife's 2002 Impala. The factory HU is AM/FM/CD/Cassette, all in one unit. No CD Changer.

There is something, maybe an amp, installed in the trunk (under the rear "dashboard"). Don't know if that matters.

There's no OnStar in this car.

There is a product on the market to create an aux input - the PIE GM12-AUXv2. This plugs into a 12-pin connector built onto the back of the factory HU. I have been considering buying this unit, but I don't want to spend the money if I don't have to.

I just pulled the stereo out of the dash and looked, and there is a factory-looking connector already plugged into the 12-pin connector, but it only has 2 wires. One is dark green with white, and one is brown with white. I can't find the other ends of them.

I have looked at the wires attached to the thing in the trunk, and I don't see those 2 wire colors at those connectors.

From what I have found online, those 2 colors SHOULD be R and L audio inputs into the HU.

The 2 wires are taped together and then run into the main harness that is then bound with electrical tape. The whole thing disappears into the dashboard. It all looks factory.

So - it seems that these 2 wires are for inputting audio into the HU, from somewhere. Does anyone know where they're coming from? Could I just tap into them with an AUX input so we can play MP3s from an MP3 player?

Hard to believe I could have the only car that has those 2 wires. Sure wish I knew where their other ends were. I don't really know where to even look for them. Any ideas?

Thanks for any and all help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am having the same problems only I am trying to install an aftermarket CD player... The thing in your trunk is a factory Amplifier... From what I have heard if you want to put anything aftermarket into a stereo with a factory amplifier you have to either rewire all of your speakers and lose the power from the amplifier or spend like $80 on a wiring harness...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am trying to do the same thing, with the same factory setup.

I bought the PIE adapter for 80.00, but I could not get it to work. I hooked it up to power, and then an Ipod, but I couldnt get any sound.

I had read that you toggled through the 'tune' button, it would switch to an AUX input. That was not the case for me.

Someone else has done this, im sure. Anyone?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I am trying to do the same thing, with the same factory setup.

I bought the PIE adapter for 80.00, but I could not get it to work. I hooked it up to power, and then an Ipod, but I couldnt get any sound.

I had read that you toggled through the 'tune' button, it would switch to an AUX input. That was not the case for me.

Someone else has done this, im sure. Anyone?
some of the GM's you use the band button and tune knob to scroll input at least with this unitsThe iSimple GateWay - The Ultimate iPod / iPhone Integration Solution

·
Registered
31 Posts
I installed a pioneer head unit with usb port and i-pod adapter built in. I used the GM harness that came with the chime an 80 dollar part. Then you just have to match up the wires,everything is working fine. Probablly a easier and better sounding way to go rather then trying to wire into the stock stereo. I also have the stock amp running the stock speakers and a aftermarket amp running my subs. I installed everything myself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts