Impala Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 Impala will randomly shut off, the power to the radio anda/cm gets cut and the RPMs as well as all the other gauges (besides speed) will drop all the way down and the brake pedal will get really hard to press down. Then it comes right back on after 1 or 2 seconds. At first I only noticed it when slowing down or at a stop but then it happened while driving normally, not slowing down so I'm not sure why it's doing this. Can anyone tell me what's going on and what will need fixing? Thank you

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
My 2002 Impala will randomly shut off, the power to the radio anda/cm gets cut and the RPMs as well as all the other gauges (besides speed) will drop all the way down and the brake pedal will get really hard to press down. Then it comes right back on after 1 or 2 seconds. At first I only noticed it when slowing down or at a stop but then it happened while driving normally, not slowing down so I'm not sure why it's doing this. Can anyone tell me what's going on and what will need fixing? Thank you

1. Check the battery terminal connectors for corrosion and proper tightness.

2. If the battery terminals are clean and tight, I would suspect a worn-out ignition switch. Do you have a key ring with a lot of keys (and maybe other items) on it? A heavy key chain can move with the car’s movement, and cause the switch to move slightly, causing a brief disruption in the ignition circuit.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts