Impala Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I recently bought a 2002 Impala 3.8 v6 I was working on it a few days ago and it started up fine. After I took out the dash cover and plugged back in the 4 way stop light I was gping to start it up and heard a pop the stopped took a sec then tried to start it and nothing. Then I tried a few more things and still nothing no power when I put the key in or even open the door. I have tried replacing the ignition switch, the ignition relay, the 60 Amp ignition fuse, I even looked at the pcu 10 Amp fuse and nothing. Please help I know it has to be something simple but can't seem to figure out what. Because I tried all the hard stuff already. I will even include fuse box pictures. Please help if you have any idea what the issue could be.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Fixture
Motor vehicle Mode of transport Electrical wiring Gas Machine
Motor vehicle Control panel Gas Engineering Electrical wiring
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Gas Automotive exterior

·
Super Moderator
301 Posts
Got power on the big 60 amp Maxi Fuses? From there trace the power back to the dashboard side panel fuseblocks which are actually a combination of fuse, jumpers and lugs that interconnect the wiring together as a big junction block. Back side of the drivers block is the retained power relay and given the current level through the block they're known to go bad internally, they're not easily repaired. Impala and Monte Carlo panels will interchange thru the 2005 model year and wear some gloves when removing the blocks with the sharp dashboard edges, speaking from experience.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update after not messing with it senile last night the dome lights came on went to start it and nothing then no power again? Could this still be the fuse block?

·
Super Moderator
301 Posts
It's a bad connection somewhere along the high current circuits, bad connection at the battery itself because the terminals aren't seating all the way? Maybe that jumper lug between the two underhood panels or one of the fuse links? Ground connections are always a problem with these, one on the engine and the bonding jumper to the frame could be bad.
I'd take a process of elimination approach with a voltmeter and snoop out the current pathes starting with the positive side and looking for voltage that shouldn't be there.

·
Registered
2002 Impala 3.4L V6 LT FWD 247.5k miles
328 Posts
@NeedHelpJones : Seems like something happened after you "plugged back in the 4-way stop light"? Wasn't it starting fine until you did that? Whenever something suddenly fails, you have to ask yourself, "what changed?". I would re-trace your steps to see if you introduced a problem somehow...

·
That Guy!!
1,427 Posts
Check/clean the grounds in the car. The one right below the battery tray was really dirty, as was the one on the tranny bolt. Took me forever to figure it out.

Reactions: sheila
1 - 7 of 7 Posts