Impala Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, so I have a 2002 impala. About to hit 150k miles. A lot of repairs this year.

A month ago, the water pump blew. Overheated on the freeway, tow, etc. Had the water pump and thermostat replaced and did coolant flush, oil change. Engine still looked and sounded great.

Now I'm driving and orange service light pops on: "service vehicle soon"...then it dissapeared next time i started the car.

I checked the manual. It says it's either an engine problem or could be as small as an issue with the trunk sensor so that narrows it down...

So after I worked the weekend, I noticed a low pitched sound under front end. Doesn't seem like the engine but like the engine's magical drone-like friend that flies with it under the car. I thought maybe it was the tires, because it sort of has that grumbly sound like driving a bad road.

Tires are a year old, 60k, and were rotated for the first time 3 months ago. So after a week of the sound, same orange light pops on with same message. It again disappeared after the car was stopped and stayed off.

Noise gets louder. Now I feel like I'm driving a plane or motorcycle. Not quite as loud but moving towards it. Pretty sure I can hear the normal engine noise underneath it all.

Suddenly didn't feel safe my last drive. Steering seemed wobbly, maybe psychological. And temp gauge went up past half way mark which isn't horrible but it hasn't done that since replaced last month (This was a 20 minute drive).

(There's also hesitation at around 55mph that is not anything new, maybe trouble jumping gears).

As I accelerate, the noise raises pitch especially jumping on freeway to 65mph. However i would still categorize it as a constant low pitched sound that stops completely when I brake at a light or get below 10mph.

Does it seem like engine? Taking it in asap but want another opinion if possible. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
sounds like possible wheel bearings since it doesn't do it at a stop. can you tell if it is the front or rear? check out this video on how to see if the wheel bearing is bad.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, thanks!! It is definitely coming from front, either center or right. In the video you posted, it made the sound more high pitched than low. What you posted led me to this one though. It may be so. Haha, that rhymed.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UpsLaSzcAu4

Sounds more like a plane at high speeds, or at low speeds a cat purring. The sound doesn't alter when swerving the wheel though so I'm not sure but really appreciate your input. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts