Impala Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just brought this car at an auction. The low coolant light is on although I just filled it and its blowing cool air. No heat at all. I even let the car warm up for about 20 minutes and when I got back in, still blowing cool air.

I'm wondering what it could be. Really I don't have much money to get it looked at. This is only my second car. I've been to several sites and it seems like this car is known to have problems with the heating system. I read that it could be several things...eg. the thermostat, the sensor, clogged radiator, ect.....How do I go about finding out what exactly is the problem?? Is there some diagnostic test for this. Or do I have to keep repairing different things until I find the culprit?

I tried to use the search feature on this site....but it keeps giving me error messages.

Anyways, any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
557 Posts
first of all make sure you have no air bubbles, run the car, and open up the bleeders, and make sure the you have a solid stream coming out of them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't know if it'll be the same on an Impala, but I would imagine so... I had a Neon that did this and it turned out to be the radiator cap. Something about it wasn't keeping the right pressure in the radiator. Maybe try a new one of those?

·
Registered
557 Posts
that's very very rare. with impala's you most likely have a leak. Depending on the engine, it could but Lower intake manifold gaskets or upper plenum gaskets. A t-tstat, a tensioner assy, or a plastic elbow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
im having the same the problem with my sisters 2002 impala. she just bought it and it has already had a new water pump, new t-stat, new heater core. today i just put another new t-stat. to make sure. the temp goes up when driving and goes down when idling!!! and im getting no heat when i turn on the heater! but the gage said 260! but no check engine or codes no stutters or hesitation. i did see a small hiss and drip coming from a plastic elbow on what looks like the secondary half of water pump. help please!!!!! it also has a new cap on the radiator. is it a dashboard problem? maybe a thermosat temperature sending unit issue? it looks new

·
Registered
5 Posts
how would the radiator become blocked? i can open the cap and squeeze the top end hose and see and hear water moving to the radiator?

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
You both most likely just have air in the system still, very common issue. They are rather hard to bleed out sometimes, you have to use the bleeder screws or you'll never get the air out.

·
Registered
96 Posts
sounds like either the controller in the dash is bad or the temp control module is bad. if your coolant level is full these are your 2 options.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts