Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Chevrolet Impala LS v6 3.4 liter. Ever since I changed the factory stereo out with an after market stereo I have been having battery issues. I put the car on jumpers and it starts. However, once I disconnect the jumpers and try to restart it the battery won't crank. The battery is pretty new and has been tested by Advance Auto and shows to be working. Everyone seems to think I may have a short somewhere because the battery simply won't hold a charge. We charge it and it dies. It only starts off of jumpers but if its not left on jumpers it will never restart. Does anyone have any suggestions on diagnosing this problem? If so I would greatly appreciate ANY feedback! Thanks! Anthony

·
Registered
126 Posts
Have you charged the battery overnight? It needs time to charge, or a really long trip to get it to re-crank the engine. You tell me you jump it, but it does not re-start.....needs charge time, and not just a few minutes.

Now the problem, You installed a new stereo and it started happening. Something is drawing power all the time, or connected wrong. It could be coincidence but lets start with what changed things. WIthout looking at schematics, there is main power, memory power, power to an amp, perhaps that requires a signal (ant) for a relay, etc. Re-look at the schematics.

You can use a lamp in series (Peanut bulb soldered to wires) on the positive lead of the battery to the cable end (Disconnect battery lead) and see if it illuminates with the car off, and nothing on (doors shut, etc) If the light is lit, your drawing current. Pull some fuses until it goes away (you will need the courtesy light OFF). Start with Radio stuff. Some minute current will always be there, but light should be off or really dim.

Another quick test...disconnect the CHARGED BATTERY for the night, re-connect next day and crank car to see if it starts. This will tell you if the battery has a dead cell, or if your drawing power all night. Remember, charge battery first.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
since i added a extra battery i have a similar problem. but the extra batt has been disconnected for some time but the front batt will sometimes go dead for some reason. i have subs so im gonna have to try this test.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Def sounds like something is shorting or grounding out. I would recheck all wiring that was done. As well as the harness that was installed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Did you use a data interface such as the C2R-GM24? Or does the new stereo stay lit all the time? This would certainly cause the battery to go dead over night.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts