Impala Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When this happens it seems to go dead electrically. When I let go of the key and it goes back to the on position everything electrical seems to work fine. Then I will try to crank it again and nothing, no clicking under the hood, starter does not crank. I have put a test light at the starter and it is not getting power when this happens. Usually I wait about 10 - 20 minutes and it will start. Then it usually doesn't happen again for a month or so. Anyone with similar problem or sugestions?

·
Registered
42 Posts
This happens to me sometimes. Its like a 'low battery/no charge' type occurance, yet I hook up the jump box and start it, and then it will start and run fine for a few days, few weeks. The batter and alternator test at around 16+volts under load at the battery, and all lights are bright when turning the key and nothing happens. I have no idea what it is. Ive been told by some (not here) that it could be a failing starter because of the intermittent nature of it.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Check the battery. Have the starter checked. And check the engine to body ground. Make sure your battery cables are on tight.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've been having this same problem for a while now. About every two months my security light will come on in my 2000 Chevy impala. During one of the next few starts it will do this (like today RIGHT before i had to go to a job interview!! Grr!). I'll go to turn the car on and everything lights up electronically, all seems normal, then I go to fully start it past the "on" position and everything goes out. No ticking, no other noises, all lights shut off, not a single thing. When I put the key back to the "on" position all the lights come back on and everything seems fine again. I used to be able to wait about 10mins and it would start up again. Today, and the last time (in the middle of the worst snow storm of the year *must say something about my luck*) it took over an hour before it would start again.

I think it's something with the security system. It's like it thinks i'm trying to rob my own car and won't start. That's very much how it acts and the security light being on the day before is also what makes me think this.

My boyfriend found a temporary solution today that I tried and seemed to work. Turn the key to the "on" position for 10 minutes, then try restarting the car. That worked today, but I really would like to find a permanent solution. I can't keep having this problem.

With the little online research I've done and from asking my mechanic, I've heard everything from changing out the battery in the key fob, to the BCM, to bad contacts somewhere in the lock area. So, needless to say I still dont' have a solid answer. Any ideas???

·
Registered
10 Posts
If anyone has an answer could you let me know. My boyfriend and I are going to look tomorrow to see if there's anything loose or disconnected somewhere or any other issue that's noticeable.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
If the key is getting worn...it might trip the passlock. Or if the ignition switch is going, it'll do it as well.

By turning the key to ON and waiting ten minutes, you're initiating the passlock relearn. So it's most likely either a key (order one from the dealer. Cut keys don't play nice) or get a new ignition switch with key.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for the advice. I will look into that. As long as it doesn't cost too much I should be able to try that soon and see if it solves the issue. Is the PassLock also what triggers the Security light to come on? The no-start issue and security light issue always seem to come hand in hand.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I will look into that. As long as it doesn't cost too much I should be able to try that soon and see if it solves the issue. Is the PassLock also what triggers the Security light to come on? The no-start issue and security light issue always seem to come hand in hand.
Yes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been having this same problem for a while now. About every two months my security light will come on in my 2000 Chevy impala. During one of the next few starts it will do this (like today RIGHT before i had to go to a job interview!! Grr!). I'll go to turn the car on and everything lights up electronically, all seems normal, then I go to fully start it past the "on" position and everything goes out. No ticking, no other noises, all lights shut off, not a single thing. When I put the key back to the "on" position all the lights come back on and everything seems fine again. I used to be able to wait about 10mins and it would start up again. Today, and the last time (in the middle of the worst snow storm of the year must say something about my luck) it took over an hour before it would start again.

I think it's something with the security system. It's like it thinks i'm trying to rob my own car and won't start. That's very much how it acts and the security light being on the day before is also what makes me think this.

My boyfriend found a temporary solution today that I tried and seemed to work. Turn the key to the "on" position for 10 minutes, then try restarting the car. That worked today, but I really would like to find a permanent solution. I can't keep having this problem.

With the little online research I've done and from asking my mechanic, I've heard everything from changing out the battery in the key fob, to the BCM, to bad contacts somewhere in the lock area. So, needless to say I still dont' have a solid answer. Any ideas???
Had the same problem. Thought I needed to tow to mechanic. Would not start even with a jump. Battery, no, starter, no, ignition switch, no again! Decided to disconnect battery for 5 minutes. Dam, started right up! Disconnecting battery resets many things and may just help you out of a jam I thought I was in. Peace!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts