Impala Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I just bought a 2001 Chevy impala (3.8L) with 56k miles and knocking coming from the engine. I got a great deal and assumed that in the worst case scenario I will need to change the engine.

After listening to the car I started googling and found a youtube clip with what seems to be the same sound. You can fast forward to 48 seconds into the video. It is not my video btw:

What do you guys think it is/could be? If it is a rod knock, would you drive it home 25 miles? Could a rod knock be fixed without taking the engine out?

Thanks in advance,
Andy

·
Registered
9 Posts
sounds like a spun bearing and the piston hitting the head. engine would have to be taken out. if theres enough damage might as well replace the engine
and i wouldnt drive it at all unless your planning on replaceing the engine, i had a s15 that spun a bearing and i didnt make it 2 miles before it cracked the head

·
Registered
432 Posts
Sounds like the flywheel is cracked to me.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
for the record, it was a rod. I did turn the car on and drive it for about a half mile and the car eventually stalled. When I went to turn it back on I think I put the rod through my oil pan. Noise followed by flowing oil

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
56k miles and a rod goes through the pan? Ouch sounds like someone didn't take care of it.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Wow, had the oil ever been changed before you bought it?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The car belonged to a local police department. They have mechanics on staff and I suspect that they change the oil regularly but I can't be sure. I didn't ask for maintenance records but I'm sure I wouldn't have gotten them even if I asked.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Well, it doesn't matter now anyway, but engines with regular oil changes don't usually have that problem.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
:crybaby2: sorry to hear this man

1 - 9 of 9 Posts