Impala Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 impala with 230k miles. A couple days ago it died while driving to work. It started immediately back though. Since then the problem keeps happening and seems to be getting more frequent. Last night it did this 5-6 times during a 12 mile drive. A local mechanic checked it out and pulled up fault codes. He cleared them and I drove it until it died again. He checked again and said the code meant the throttle position sensor was the culprit. I bought one and he installed it but the problem kept happening. It does it at various speeds from 20-55 miles per hour and happens on straight stretches of road. It has stalled several times during braking, accelerating, and while maintaining a steady speed. Never while idling though. Has anyone had this problem or worked on an impala with this problem? And if so what fixed it? I'm bet desperate I depend on this car to get to work and I don't have enough money to throw parts at it or even to pay another mechanic to diagnose. I'm experienced in using a multimeter but I have no scanner or diagnostic tool. Please help!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just a few questions off the top of my head:

Was your car a part of the faulty ignition switch recall?
Did they check to make sure your alternator ground cable is secure and not corroded?
Check all the wires going to and from your alternator to see if they're in good condition, and connected well.
When the car dies, does everything shut off, or does it just act like is in key on, engine off? Like, does all of your electrical die? (lights, radio, etc.)
When it shuts down, does it chug and stall, or just instantaneously shut down? If it's completely fine, then shuts down immediately, it could be something electrical. If it acts like it starves for gas or air, then it could be something else, but since it immediately starts right back up, I'm suspect of a loose ground cable or something of the sort. When it dies out, does it do so after hitting a bump?

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
at 230k miles i'd start saving up for another car. But also check the fuel pump. If it is original it is definitely tired by now.
I would have sworn I replied to this thread yesterday.

Anyway, I agree - fuel pump, or clogged fuel filter, but my first instinct was fuel pump. A fuel pump going bad can cut out causing stalling "on straight stretches of road" under easy throttle. (A partially clogged fuel filter shows itself under heavy throttle, but may not be noticed under light throttle.)

HTH.

Doug

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
As I was reading this I was thinking fuel filter or pump. More info on how the car acts would help, any sputtering/bucking or just goes dead, how does it run when it is running? Would surprise me if your issue was not fuel related, but would not rule out ignition. Good luck getting the problem resolved and report back here to let others know what you find.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What is the solution for your problem. I have '02 LS, and exactly same issue. Planning to get fuel filter cleaned & MAF sensor cleaned. Any suggestion would be of great help. Thanks!

I have a 2001 impala with 230k miles. A couple days ago it died while driving to work. It started immediately back though. Since then the problem keeps happening and seems to be getting more frequent. Last night it did this 5-6 times during a 12 mile drive. A local mechanic checked it out and pulled up fault codes. He cleared them and I drove it until it died again. He checked again and said the code meant the throttle position sensor was the culprit. I bought one and he installed it but the problem kept happening. It does it at various speeds from 20-55 miles per hour and happens on straight stretches of road. It has stalled several times during braking, accelerating, and while maintaining a steady speed. Never while idling though. Has anyone had this problem or worked on an impala with this problem? And if so what fixed it? I'm bet desperate I depend on this car to get to work and I don't have enough money to throw parts at it or even to pay another mechanic to diagnose. I'm experienced in using a multimeter but I have no scanner or diagnostic tool. Please help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts