Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this forum. My 2001 Impala AM/FM/CD/Cassette radio is starting to go out periodically. When the sound comes back on, the functions are working OK. The display still shows for the clock, frequency, CD position, etc.. Also, the chimes for headlights and key in iginition don't work.
Should I start diagnosing at the radio head or the amplifier?
I dread having to take the trim plate off the instrument panel.
Thanks in advance for your help.:confused:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Speaker connection problem?

I have the same problem. The radio doesn't work intermittently. When the radio goes out, the door chimes go out too. It doesn't matter if the car is on or off. When the radio dies, the CD player runs but nothing comes through the speakers. Thus, it's most likely a speaker connection problem. Everything else on the instrument panel and radio as well as the lights and electric windows work fine.

Have you been able to isolate/fix the problem?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem here

My radio has the same problem. It goes out for weeks at a time, then suddenly works again for awhile, then goes out again!! Today, with the radio just barely making some sound, I just happened to notice that when I turned on the rear window defroster, the sound went out completely. When I turned it back off, the little bit of sound it was making came back. Pretty strange, I think!

Does anyone have an idea yet about what to do?

Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nope, no solution yet.
I'm living with it.

However, since the colder weather has arrived, I don't get the outages anymore. It might go out for a split second but those occurrences are rare.

If you figure it out, let us know!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts