Impala Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey fellas, i'm new here, and with my first post, i have a problem, maybe some of you have had or know how to fix this problem... cheap.

I got a 2001 impala to temporarily replace my wrecked 96 caprice until i find another one in decent condition. i've had the car less than a week.

It's an ex us marshall car, 142k on the clock. It wont start.

Turn the car to on, the lights just go out for maybe a second, then turn back on. The starter doesn't even attempt to turn over.
The display on the dash shows "security", and a picture of the battery.

we've checked all fuses. they're all good. i looked aonline and saw something that the passlock is not reading the right resistance from the key cylinder, so we tried installing a resistor to bypass the security lock, still no start. my buddy some way, was able to touch two points, one on the starter, the 2nd on the power line maybe the starter solenoid, i'm not sure, i think he said he bypassed the relay, and was able to turn the engine over, it sounded like it was going to start, but it didn't happen. so now we're thinking the the security system, is still active, and was somehow able to shutdown the fuel injectors. We're completely lost here.

someone told us to turn the car to "on" for exactly 15 minutes, then "off" for 5 min, then repeat 3 times. that didn't work. we've tried placing the key in the passsenger/driver door, unlocking the door, leaving the key in the door, hitting unlock 2x, and nothing.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I'll be at work all day today, and will not be able to get back to my car until maybe 6 30pm, but i'll try my best to answer any questions though.

also, i failed to mention that i removed the plastic cover from the engine, and underneath some of the wires were chewed through. i've reconnected them, but i do not think that this would have caused the car to not start, due to the fact that i drove the car for a few day.

2001 impala
142000 miles
3800 engine
ex U.S. Marshal car, with alot of etra wires in it.

·
Registered
657 Posts
yup, thats your passlock system. i'm willing to be the tumblers are worn in the ignition. try these things before getting it replaced and see if it helps any: use your spare key if you have one. take the key you are using off the keyring and just use it by itself. sometimes the added weight from a keychain full of keys will add to the problem. get some electrical contact cleaner and spray on the key and run it in and out of the ignition to possibly clean out the contacts in there. other than that, the iginition switch will most likely need replaced. its about a $300 job, IIRC, but i could be wrong.

side note: does the car have an aftermarket alarm system or head unit installed?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks... n i'll give it a try. as far as alarms and head unit, everything on this car is stock. well,.... except for all the LE stuff leftover. in the event that the tumbers are badly worn, can this be a DIY job?

·
Registered
657 Posts
when dealing with anything passlock related, i would leave it to the guys who "know what they are doing" or at least if they don't, and they f*ck something up, you can blame them and make them fix it again for free. its just that the passlock system and bcm on these things are so sensitive, that i would not dare touch them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
when dealing with anything passlock related, i would leave it to the guys who "know what they are doing" or at least if they don't, and they f*ck something up, you can blame them and make them fix it again for free. its just that the passlock system and bcm on these things are so sensitive, that i would not dare touch them.
my mind is saying so also... but my pockets......

·
Registered
657 Posts
the way i see it is like this, you try it yourself and run the risk of majorly messing something up and end up paying even more, or let the shop do it once and if they mess it up, they are responsible for fixing it and covering the cost.

·
Registered
557 Posts
The way to try to program the passlock is turn the key and attempt to start, without turning the car off leave the key in the on position. Then after 10 mins, turn the key off, then attempt a restart, you may have to do this up to 3 times.

Ignition switches and tumbler's are common problems with these cars.

but sometimes the car won't allow you to program unless the codes are completely clear from the BCM

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
..tow to the dealership, and $300.18 later, car is back on road. something about a short in the starter. not sure if that relates to a side-effect of the security system or not....

·
Banned
117 Posts
My Impala had a very simular problem as yours.

I spent alot of money @ the GM dealer and they still did not fix the problem.

To make a long story short,i replaced all the wire ends (connectors) that ran to my ICM (Ignition control modual).Have not had a single problem since....So basicly it was a fix that cost less than a dollar lol.

How i found the problem: When my car would stall i would start jiggling wires.I got to the point were i only jiggled the ICM wires and she would fire.I found that many of the connectors inside the plug were rather loose.Replaced all connectors and bam!! car is good to go :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My Impala had a very simular problem as yours.

I spent alot of money @ the GM dealer and they still did not fix the problem.

To make a long story short,i replaced all the wire ends (connectors) that ran to my ICM (Ignition control modual).Have not had a single problem since....So basicly it was a fix that cost less than a dollar lol.

How i found the problem: When my car would stall i would start jiggling wires.I got to the point were i only jiggled the ICM wires and she would fire.I found that many of the connectors inside the plug were rather loose.Replaced all connectors and bam!! car is good to go :)
if only you had done that before going to the dealer..lol.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts