Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Chevy Impala and the gas guage moves back and forth all the time. I never know how much gas I have unless I estimate by mileage. It's not just moving up and down as the gas sloshes around when I drive, it literally goes all the way up, then all the way down, and the appropriate alert that I am "empty" sound off. And then it sometimes bounces around in the middle. It's odd and seems "electrical" to me. Anyone have any thoughts?
Thanks in advance.
:)

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My gauge goes nuts too,cannot tell how much gas is in it. It could be float in tank or the ground wire.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bad ground wire or your sending unit in the gas tank is defaulty

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
most common would be sending unit in the gas tank or wiring, also could be problem in the dash cluster

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Invisible aliens are parked on the rooftop of the car, causing the gauge to swirl.

No, really.

And the needle is probably disconnected from the line that measures the level. The aliens probably did that too, just to keep you from getting suspicious.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
needs a new sending unit which unfortunatly has to come in one unit with the fuel pump

·
Registered
35 Posts
my 01 impala does the same thing, i got the fuel pump replaced but it did not help

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
my 01 impala does the same thing, i got the fuel pump replaced but it did not help

Probably because they only replaced the fuel pump and not the sending unit. Yes, you can replace the fuel pump/sending unit separate of each other, just have to talk to the right guy at the dealer, otherwise they try and sell the whole unit. As far as someone thinking it might be in the gauge cluster itself, in my opinion you can toss that hypothesis out the freakin window:)

I have done so many that I can almost say its never going to be in the gauge cluster, they are usually pretty well made lately and the problem is always the signal that is supposed to go to the gauges (wires on the sending unit probably are bare and metal visible)

But again, im just guessing here. good luck:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts