Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 Chevy Impala, 3.4l V6
I just found this forum and just scanning threw these posts, it appears a lot of good information can be found! Hopefully it'll work for me too!

Tonight coming home from work I noticed when I pressed my breaks and the ABS would kick in (been snowing all day) the electrical system just seems to dim. I first noticed it when the radio volumn would go very low and then slowly build back up to where it was set at. Then I started noticing panel lights dimming. At one point it was like the car shut off (electrically) and kicked back in. Everything reset just like when you start the car - however the engine didn't 'stall' or anything that I noticed.

I'm open to ideas. I've been having problems with my ABS as it is (intermittant light) and my thermostat (stuck open). Saving up to repair those has been tough with the holidays - i am not looking forward to having something else to get repaired.

·
Registered
557 Posts
first of all check to make sure the battery connection is tight. Then I'd have someone test the battery and make sure its ok. These cars go funky with low batteries. You could also have a loose ground wire - most likely the case.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just FYI
A buddy suggested that at low RPM (using breaks) that the belt was slipping. That actually made sense to me - big (50deg) temp swing from warm to cold / snow-slushy roads just added to the problem making the belt 'slick'...

Again that was just a suggestion - but roads were not slushy today and I didn't have the problem again today. If true - I will need to get the belt replaced soon, but - sure was an ease to my mind hearing that.. :)

·
Registered
557 Posts
did it sound like a belt squeal when everything practically shut off? I highly doubt that's the problem unless you heard the noise.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts