Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone im new to the forums and i have a few questions.

My ABS light is always on when i start the car.
It started out just the ABS motor randomly going off whenever i braked but now it just goes on as soon as i start the car.
What should i do. I know i need to get it read using an OBD2 code reader but i don't have access to one.
I've heard it could be my wheel speed sensor wire does anyone have instructions on how to access this sensor and the wires.

Thank You

Chris

Ontario, Canada

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi everyone im new to the forums and i have a few questions.

My ABS light is always on when i start the car.
It started out just the ABS motor randomly going off whenever i braked but now it just goes on as soon as i start the car.
What should i do. I know i need to get it read using an OBD2 code reader but i don't have access to one.
I've heard it could be my wheel speed sensor wire does anyone have instructions on how to access this sensor and the wires.

Thank You

Chris

Ontario, Canada
It could either be the actual sensor in the hub or the wiring harness that connects to it. Both are known to go bad. Usually its more the sensor than the wiring but not always. A quick visual inspection of the wiring harnesses at all 4 corners of the car is a cheap and easy way of starting out. You might also get a can of contact cleaner/lube or even WD-40 and unplug and re-seat each connector into the sensor, spraying a little bit of the lubricant into the cavity before putting the plug back in.
No guarantees that will fix it, but if its just dirt or corrosion that might do the trick.
If you still have a solid ABS light, you need to avail yourself of a scanner that can read ABS codes. I don't know what you have in Canada that is the equivalent of AutoZone or Advance Auto here in the USA, but if you have any of those types of stores, see if the offer free scanning services. What's important is finding a scanner that can read the ABS codes, not just the OBDII powertrain codes. Some of the stores here are using the new Actron scanner that is able to read the ABS system.
At worst you might have to pay a shop to put an ABS scanner on the car. It will at least point you to which wheel is causing you the problem. At that point if you've checked the wiring then most likely the sensor has gone bad and your only option is replacing the hub, as the ABS sensors are built into the hubs and are not servicable seperately.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
also i got an
OBD II - USB interface cable off ebay for a great price

and then i found the software for it (ScanXL Professional with all the Advanced Diagnostics for GM Ford and Mazda) i was able to pull all the trouble codes from it it told me exactly which wheel it was and the problem.

I highly recommend it and if anyone purchases it i can help with some software

1 - 5 of 5 Posts