Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,
First post here looking to replace my 01 impala Factory Cassette Radio with a new Double Din Android Head Unit.

I am the second owner...Bought at 68K... my parents were the first owners and the Impala now has about 139K on the Original 3.4L. The vehicle has some wiring issues (Turn Signal - guessing ground issues) and is beginning to show her age (rust belt area)...but is used in my daily commute fleet (90 miles daily)..

So I am looking to correct these electrical issues as well as get some more modern tunes..

I have the Head unit picked out...Have the same one in another vehicle. Its a Double Din with 2GB Memory and 32GB storage with rear Camera and 2 USB ports that are kept in Dash box...Inexpensive Chinese Unit but does come with a 1 year warranty and does have decent sound and capabilities for the money.

I am going to get the Dash Install Kit Adapter (Install Kit).

I am looking to buy the wiring Adapter (Back of Head unit Wiring Set to Connect to the Car Wiring.Adapter Set) which I will solder together and heat shrink the wires.

But I have read that there is a Chime Unit and possibly an Interface adapter possibly needed...

So my question how to figure out what is exactly needed. I do not have On Star in this base vehicle and If I have an amp I have heard its in the trunk. The head unit I bought previously had amp wiring from memory it was RCA hookups and I believe a Additional blue wire.

Curious does anyone out there have a Android Head Unit in their Early 2000 Impala?

Be interested in seeing pics and knowing of any sticky points of installation.

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
I have the Head unit picked out...Have the same one in another vehicle. Its a Double Din with 2GB Memory and 32GB storage with rear Camera and 2 USB ports that are kept in Dash box...Inexpensive Chinese Unit but does come with a 1 year warranty and does have decent sound and capabilities for the money.
If you don't mind my asking, what brand is it? I'd guess that lots of aftermarket radios are made in China.

But I have read that there is a Chime Unit and possibly an Interface adapter possibly needed...
That's probably not a bad idea. That said, in one case, I put in an aftermarket radio, and we just did without the chimes.

In another case, I relocated the stock radio to the trunk and added a small speaker under the dash for the chimes.

That is, I've never worked with an aftermarket chime unit, so I can't give you much input on that.

...If I have an amp I have heard its in the trunk.
If there is a stock amp in the trunk, it will be mounted under the package tray. You can see it by looking in from the trunk opening. I kept mine in one car, but relocated it to allow a speaker to be mounted in that spot. There is plenty of service loop in the wiring to facilitate relocating it. Also, if you don't use the amp, there is plenty of great wiring in that harness for speaker hook-up. You would need to splice into it - I doubt you can find mating connectors for it, but the wire is already there.

Here's a pic of some of what I installed in my son's 2002 Impala. The factory amp fits in a quasi-rectangular opening. The woodwork allowed me to mate the "round" speaker with the "square" hole where the factory amp had been :)

Doug

corys_sub1.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Doug,
Sorry for the exremely delayed response...

The head unit is a Benize...I have it in my 2007.Saturn ION.

My commute is now a mute point due to Covid Pandemic...Placed I worked for cleared house in the IT department leaving 2 out of 9 remaining...

This is still on the agenda...I guess my big question remaining is will it fit in the dash?

Thanks for the help,
Chris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts