Impala Forums banner

2000 Impala Yet another security issue

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  kingnutin 
#1 ·
Hey Guys!
I couple weeks ago, either I or my wife had managed to either toss or just plain lose the only key for my 2000 Impala.
Well, I was reading on another forum that I could change out the front section of the ignition switch and lock cylinder from another car like another Impala, Grand Am, etc.. with the same switch. All I had to do was do the security relearn procedure.
Well, this is where my problem begins.. I pulled the switch and went to the junk yard. I purchased 4 ignition switches. 2 were from other 00-01 Impalas, one from a 2001 Monte Carlo and one from a 2000 Grand Am.
Starting with the first switch with the key. (battery disconnected) I plugged in the switch and hooked up the battery. The headlights immediately came on, the dash lights and radio came on, the security/battery light started flashing.
I then started the relearn procedure. Switch on for at least 10 min, off for 5 sec, on for 10 min, off for 5 sec, on again for 10 min. After this, I turned off the switch and then tried to start the car. Nothing happen. All lights and radio still on and the Security/Battery light still flashing.
I then tried this with each switch/key cylinder set. All doing the same thing.
I called he dealer and asked how much a key was. The key and the code cost me $103. I took this home and plugged my ignition switch back in and tried my key from the dealer. Disconnected the battery for a while, reconnected it and all the lights came on again. I attempted the relearn procedure only to find out that my new key doesn't fit my original lock cylinder and doesn't fit my doors either.
The dealer said either the lock cylinder has been replaced at some point or its damaged. I am the original owner and never replaced the cylinder before.
Sooo, what now.. Is there anything else I can do? Any reason why these other switches with keys don't work? Could it be the dealer cut my key incorrectly?

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like the dealer screwed up, if it doesn't fit the ignition cylinder OR the doors, and you're the original owner... They screwed it up.

#3 ·
You must be doing the relearn wrong
Is this the exact procedure your doing?
Try to start car then leave in on position for 10min
Off for 5sec
On for 10min
Off for 5sec
On for 10min
Then turn the key to off before trying to start it.

If that is what your doing then try leaving the key in the on position for 15-20 minutes and see if the security light goes off.

#5 ·
Ej is probably right about the initial problem with the original key, but there is no explanation for the dealer replacement key other than that they messed up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.