Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I'm driving and I turn -while- I'm accelerating I get a somewhat bad vibration from my front end. I was told it was the CV joint or wheel bearings. I noticed a bit of grease built up on the outer boot (farthest from the tire). Question is, since there is grease, is it most likely the CV joint causing the problem? If so, what would the total cost to repair this run? Ballpark is fine. Also, no clicking or any sort of sound while I am turning. Mainly happens at higher speeds (30mph+)
The halfshaft idea seems a bit more plausible. Is it possible to install at home with the usual set of tools or does it involve specialty tools?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It's actually less expensive to have a complete half shaft installed instead of one CV joint. A half shaft gives you two new rebuilt joints / boots and an axle for one side of the transmission to the wheel.
When the old joint an axle is out it's easy to determine if a wheel bearing is needed.
Any auto parts store charges $60. - $70. for a half shaft. A new wheel bearing runs $75. - $90. depending on quality.

Total cost will run $160. - $180. to replace the halfshaft.
Add another $120. to replace the wheel bearing if needed.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's actually less expensive to have a complete half shaft installed instead of one CV joint. A half shaft gives you two new rebuilt joints / boots and an axle for one side of the transmission to the wheel.
When the old joint an axle is out it's easy to determine if a wheel bearing is needed.
Any auto parts store charges $60. - $70. for a half shaft. A new wheel bearing runs $75. - $90. depending on quality.

Total cost will run $160. - $180. to replace the halfshaft.
Add another $120. to replace the wheel bearing if needed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i found that usually its the passenger side cv halfshaft that goes out. i have a 2001 impala and napa has the right side halfshaft for 49 dollars. remanufactured. i'm working on a tight budget and will begin repairs tomorrow. was hoping someone else had already undertook the project. i got minimal tools but i will writ a diy for it i guess. wish me luck.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
axle isnt hard to do, you need a 33mm (IIRC) socket to get the axle nut off, While youre there check the wheel hub too ;) make sure the wheel speed sensor & harness is in good condition

·
Registered
4 Posts
done and done.

so like i said minimal tools. major problem. napa had the part at 49 dollars for a reman. plus 11 dollar core. cool. in my book get the cheapest possible part to see if i got the problem solved. unfortunately i got up late. but still my local store had the part. got it and thought to myself about the size of nut i would have to loosen and the pressure i needed to take it off. i had 100 dollars and no way out. the part cost me 60 + bucks and what mechanic would take that on for less than a hundred right? but still i went to my local tire shop asked if they had the nut to loosen the cv and how much he would charge me to break the pressure off the nut since i only lived blocks away. and could take that big fucker off when i got home. he said 10 dollars to break the pressure. so i stated. bro i'm broke as a bitch. how much more to break it and put it in? he said 40 to 50!!! that was right up my alley. so i said do it. turns out the reman from napa was the wrong size on the tranny end. so i walked across the street from the tire shop to napa. and told them yo. this shit dont fit. and i already paid dude for the job..... wtf... they ordered me an brand spanking new cv. but had to ship from pheonix to buckeye in an hour. they got it here and i got it done. with a 119 dollar napa part for the price i paid for reman + the core. couldve been a dick and pushed for a price match. but damn this impala driving so fucken sexy i cannot and will not complain. i didnt do the job but it is not difficult with minimal tools. i had a heavy schedule and would have done the whole operation myself. but i see now that what i paid dude to use an impact wrench cannot be overlooked. i came out on top and impala beauty is running amazing... wow!!! i love this car!

·
Registered
2 Posts
mines started doing the same thing last week. i have replaced driver side wheel bearing and cv joint shaking has calmed a bit but still there would it be best to replace passenger side as well. please help asap

1 - 8 of 8 Posts