Impala Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I was wondering if amyone could give me and answer to my problem. My 2000 impala started feeling like its jamming into gear. Then the engine light came on. I hooked it up to an obd2 scanner and im getting a p0742 code for the torque converter clutch circuit stuck on. Now it sometimes loses gears completely, but if I put the car in park and turn it on and off it works fine again for a few minutes. I am completely baffled by this one. If anyone had some advice it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Very common, this is how my last trans was killed. Do not I repeat do not drive the car until you replace that sensor. Your car is going into safe mode or limp mode what you want to call it. It wilk start then drive for 30 seconds then bam no gears. Hopefully you didnt drive the car for to long, the torque converter was eating itself alive everytime you drove it further. Maybe you can get by with changing the sensor and flushing the trans really good. Fingers crossed for you.

Reactions: Emulationzzz

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually did drive it for a bit, it wasn't completely losing the gears at first but eventually it did lose the gears completely, so then I drove it home (about 15 km) and then just to town and back to see if the problem persisted. Do you think I did any internal damage to the tranny or the torque converter?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts