Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the other day, a SECURITY light came on for a bit with the key forward just to put windows up.

This is the kids car, with 222,000 miles. We have had the car since new in the family.

Somewhere along the line, original keys are all lost, all are aftermarket keys, simple blanks cut. Every key starts and runs the car, no security issues.

From what I read, there is a security system in this car based on the key?

I am thankful that if this is the case in my 2000, it does not work. Can this be verified? Does this car use this feature? Do I expect future issues?

We have decided to keep this car, and discard the 220,000 mile Taurus instead, so we fixed some items as of late in the quest to hit 300,000 miles. Hope the little 3.4 holds on. It has had only intake gasket as a major so far.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Today the Security light comes on in my impala 2000. i noticed while i was driving to work, when i was parked in the company, shut of the engine, and then start 2 times the engenie without any problem.

Some sugestions about some thing to check?

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Most of the time the security light popping up is due to a dirty or failing lock cylinder or ignition switch. Common issue with these cars. The passlock switch is at the end of the cylinder and if your key doesn't depress this switch fully, the car will not start or the security message will pop up. If neither has been replaced I would first recommend taking compressed air (air compressor or can) to the lock cylinder while you hold the slot open with a small screwdriver or similar. If this doesn't help I would replace the ignition switch and cylinder. Do NOT replace one without the other. Both the ign switch and cylinder CAN cause passlock, starting, electrical issues. Better to get them both out of the way.

Do either of you have any other electrical issues or messages pop up on the dash?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most of the time the security light popping up is due to a dirty or failing lock cylinder or ignition switch. Common issue with these cars. The passlock switch is at the end of the cylinder and if your key doesn't depress this switch fully, the car will not start or the security message will pop up. If neither has been replaced I would first recommend taking compressed air (air compressor or can) to the lock cylinder while you hold the slot open with a small screwdriver or similar. If this doesn't help I would replace the ignition switch and cylinder. Do NOT replace one without the other. Both the ign switch and cylinder CAN cause passlock, starting, electrical issues. Better to get them both out of the way.

Do either of you have any other electrical issues or messages pop up on the dash?
No, and we haven't seen it again since the post, but the kid drivers are not too observant.

Such is the case when Sara said, "What does low oil level mean"?. I about crapped. Added a quart, slowly drove to oil change place and had it changed. She now checks it more often, and i realize now how many miles these kids drive around.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts